CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

syzygy

17th January 2014, 20:58

greedy kite

17th January 2014, 21:12
This one is real fun! Had some problems at the end, but it's very original, the idea & the clueing, and well worth trying (not many Americanisms, either)!
2 of 39  -   Report This Post

ginge

17th January 2014, 23:59
This is the first time I have attempted this and I can fully endorse GK's recommendation. I'm looking forward to the next one and if I get some spare time I may even backtrack and get previous puzzles.
Thanks syzygy and aristo.
3 of 39  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

18th January 2014, 01:14
Quite a few gems as usual. Favorites were 14a, 18a, 31a, 11d, and 29d. Glad you liked it, ginge.
4 of 39  -   Report This Post

ginge

18th January 2014, 11:59
Cheers again aristo, I thought 14a was particularly impressive and 13d well worth a mention. I'm hooked from now on.
PS, really must suss printing from my phone.; I drew the grid out on a beer mat and found the puzzle went well with the real ale. Started it while waiting on some mates who weren't very impressed that I "continued" after their arrival!
5 of 39  -   Report This Post

greedy kite

18th January 2014, 17:37
Ginge: like one or two others doing this delicious Harpers, I thought I'd finished ages ago, then suddenly realized I hadn't answered the q. posed in the introductory text!
Of course I don't want you to reveal too much BUT
1. Do you think we're really supposed to choose 1 of the 12 & write it out specially?
and 2. Can you give any kind of subtle hint here as to how you chose yours (if indeed you did)?
Again & again one discovers one has not read everything properly!
6 of 39  -   Report This Post

ginge

18th January 2014, 18:03
Hi GK,
Until your post I took the preamble to be nothing more than another clue to 28 confirming the answer. As this is my first Harpers; are supplementaries (after grid completion) usual? If so or solely in this case could it be related to a magazine feature in this month's edition? Otherwise, nothing immediately comes to mind.
7 of 39  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

18th January 2014, 18:10
After solving 28a that was my impression too- that it was just a playful hint at the answer, asking "What's yours?".
8 of 39  -   Report This Post

ginge

18th January 2014, 18:12
Hi GK & aristo, now thinking aloud; could 44a have a significance on a particular day in February?
9 of 39  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

18th January 2014, 18:18
You mean 41a? I thought of that, but it's not from "amo"; it's from the Latin for bitter. I suppose it depends on how you feel about that particular day. :)
10 of 39  -   Report This Post