CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

terry

6th January 2010, 21:28
In the back of the net!
91 of 99  -   Report This Post

trevor

6th January 2010, 21:32
wey-hey, nice onr Terry!
92 of 99  -   Report This Post

terry

6th January 2010, 21:37
Hi Trevor,

Yeah,thanks to John of A's advice I've learnt a lot. I'm such a technophobe that i really do feel chuffed about it.
Am i right in saying that "underscores" only come into it if you copy and paste. I'm typing straight onto here and it seems to work OK.
93 of 99  -   Report This Post

trevor

6th January 2010, 21:44
Actually mine works without the underscore(and the space John mentioned, it was just the missing colon that screwed my earlier effort)but I will use the underscore. I think it may be needed in certain browsers or something. Just a guess tho.
94 of 99  -   Report This Post

john (from arran)

6th January 2010, 21:49
I've always used an underscore as that's what my reference book told me to do, but it may not be needed.

http://www.quackit.com/html/codes/html_open_link_in_new_window.cfm" target="_blank">Quackit.com is a good reference site if you ever want help with HTML.
95 of 99  -   Report This Post

terry

6th January 2010, 21:57
I don't think I explained what I meant clearly.

I think John puts in the underscores because if He didn't all the code stuff could disappear when he posted it. He also puts in underscores when copy/pasting to notepad,whatever, because if he didn't the computer might act on the codes rather than transfer the whole text (including codes). You don't use the underscores on here when you actually want to do something,if you did then it wouldn't work because html wouldn't then recognise it as codes.
96 of 99  -   Report This Post

terry

6th January 2010, 22:01
That's me put right then. Thanks.
97 of 99  -   Report This Post

trevor

6th January 2010, 22:13
sorry,I misuderstood.
Yes John D'a puts the underscores in to sort of fool our computers into not treating it as html code so they do need to be removed.
However the command to open a new window- (target="_blank") - is an exception because it uses the underscore so should not be removed.

Hope that makes sense
98 of 99  -   Report This Post

terry

6th January 2010, 22:24
trevor,
I was more or less right then.
I didn't use any underscores when I successfully did the "new window" thing. But I did leave a space after "http........Butterflies" before putting in target.

Could somebody who knows what they are doing help Sammy before Dawn/Carol/Sue drives him nuts.
99 of 99  -   Report This Post