CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

rossim

21st September 2013, 10:50
Jazzgirl is right. You don't have to explain anything.
I did post on PR that it was a pity you have left us as you had so much to offer.
I shall be away for a bit and hope you will reconsider and be back with us when I return.
11 of 24  -   Report This Post

samgamgee

21st September 2013, 14:46
Good afternoon everyone. First of all I would like to say that I am totally overwhelmed by the response from many of you over my decision to no longer participate in the Forum. It has made me feel quite humble and has restored my faith in human nature. So, thank you all for that.

I had been ‘lurking’ on this site for several months before I finally mustered up the courage to enter the weekly clue writing competitions. I’m afraid that I don’t normally participate in the other aspects of the forum (i.e. helping others with clues etc.) but I do derive immense pleasure from producing and submitting clues. Therefore, I don’t tend to read threads that are not ‘Peer Review / Clueless’ related.

However, due to the furore over a certain ‘term’ posted in Clueless this week I have taken an interest in other threads. In retrospect, maybe I shouldn’t have.

The ‘term’ didn’t bother me one bit but it obviously upset some other Forum users. As it did, Ash and his team felt that some action had to be taken. I am not at all sure that the response was entirely appropriate in its content (sorry Norah) but I did feel that it was more or less justified as another Forum member had previously complained about Julian and Sandy’s clue content / comments. What I did object to was the use of ‘petty blackmail’ in response. I believe that Ash and his team provide an excellent service for people like us and all for free, so they should be commended for it and not vilified. As they say ‘you can’t please all of the people – all of the time’.

I realise that this will not sit well with some and I entirely respect that, but that was the reason for my somewhat hasty decision.

In a lighter note, I was privileged to serve in the Royal Navy for nearly 30 years and will always remember joining up at HMS Ganges in Shotley Gate – to be greeted with ‘Smile, you’re in Tolly Cobbold country’. So Trevor’s comment did take me back. I am also an engineer, we are renowned for poor grammar.
12 of 24  -   Report This Post

mrw

21st September 2013, 14:57
Sam so nice to here from you, I too was an Engineer albeit in the junior service, I served for 27 years. does this mean you have reconsidered?

Funnily enough I too waited a long time before joining in on PR and clueless but have the bug now.

There are a lot of people who care on this site, as you have found out, please reconsider.

mrw
13 of 24  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

21st September 2013, 15:05
Welcome back samsamgee and continue to enjoy the competitions. Your participation is much appreciated as you will have noticed :)
14 of 24  -   Report This Post

chrise

21st September 2013, 15:20
Welcome back, sam.

Re: Tolly Cobbold. I believe that it was the only brewery where the beer was generally reckoned to have improved after it was taken over by Whitbread!
15 of 24  -   Report This Post

trevor

21st September 2013, 15:42
i remember having to make way for HMS Ganges whilst sailing on the river Orwell. nearly capsized in its wake (or should that be wash?).
16 of 24  -   Report This Post

redundantelf

21st September 2013, 15:45
Glad you've responded samgamgee. Hopefully normality will be restored on the forum - albeit I've even less chance of winning now :)

I nearly left the forum a bit ago but was swayed by the support of many of the contributors. They are a great bunch.
17 of 24  -   Report This Post

mrw

21st September 2013, 15:55
I've just realised that I put engineer in the junior service, which is of course the RAF.

I meant The Corps of Royal Engineers.
18 of 24  -   Report This Post

rossim

21st September 2013, 17:22
Glad you're back Sam and look forward to more of your excellent clueing.
19 of 24  -   Report This Post

busby

21st September 2013, 23:41
Thanks Sam. I hope your enjoy your forum time.
20 of 24  -   Report This Post