CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

brendan

25th July 2013, 23:50
Book on cuts promising to astound - BRIGHTON ROCK - If 'Astound' is ROCK then what is the relevance of 'Cuts' for 'BRIGHTON'?

Replace police officer - and auditor's to give up - SUPERSEDE - If Police Officer is 'SUPER' what is relevance of 'Auditor's'?

All but opponents at cards agreed to conceal hands - NEARLY? How is it parsed?
11 of 24  -   Report This Post

les40

26th July 2013, 00:04
Book on cuts promising to astound

Book = Def - Brighton Rock

on cuts - The word 'on' cuts between 'Bright' (promising) & astound (rock)

Bright [on] Rock
12 of 24  -   Report This Post

les40

26th July 2013, 00:07
Replace police officer - and auditor's to give up

Replace = Def - Supersede

Police officer = Super
and auditors (homophone indicator as it's heard to the auditor or ear) to Cede (give up)
Cede sounds like Sede

13 of 24  -   Report This Post

les40

26th July 2013, 00:10
All but opponents at cards agreed to conceal hands - NEARLY?

I think it must go something like this.

All but = Def - NEARLY

opponents at cards (In Bridge, opponents are North and South versus East and West so North and East are opponents = N & E)

Agreed = Ay

Conceal hands = [L]eft & [R]ight

NE A(L R)Y
14 of 24  -   Report This Post

brendan

26th July 2013, 00:12
Les, that is some truly amazing parsing, many thanks.
15 of 24  -   Report This Post

les40

26th July 2013, 00:14
Surprised myself there Brendan cus I'd not looked at this one this week
16 of 24  -   Report This Post

brendan

26th July 2013, 00:26
There was a word in one of the Times recent Saturday cryptics (within the last month) that I meant to make a note of but didn't and now I've forgotten it - It means (roughly) 'A hospital that gives hydro water therapy' and it's not 'Spa'. I know it's a common word that you would never think meant this - any ideas?
17 of 24  -   Report This Post

les40

26th July 2013, 00:35
It must have been in the Jumbo cryptic because I've not had time to tackle it for quite some time but I do do the 15x15 cryptic religiously each week and nothing springs to mind from that.
I thought hydrotherapy was a form of physiotherapy.

Someone will have done it Brendan and you should get an answer soon enough, sorry I can't help but I'll have a think.
18 of 24  -   Report This Post

brendan

26th July 2013, 00:40
Hi les, you're right, I've got the last four 'Regular' Saturday cryptics in front of me and I can't find it, so it must be the 'Jumbo'. I'm not kidding - it's been driving me crazy, not least because it's one of those 'Crossword' words that regularly makes an appearance. Ah well, the search goes on.. Thanks for all your help Les.
19 of 24  -   Report This Post

les40

26th July 2013, 00:43
I'll find it for you. I scan the Saturday puzzles and save them so it will be in my files somewhere. i'll take a quick look.
20 of 24  -   Report This Post