CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

andyc

23rd July 2013, 17:00
My effort this week:

1) murder (this is a guess, can't parse with private as a def)
2) gyrate
3) hwyl
4) royal flush
5) invoice
21 of 33  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

23rd July 2013, 17:00
My one and only was
5. Invoice
22 of 33  -   Report This Post

greedy kite

23rd July 2013, 17:01
I have these:
1. Ranker (2 mngs.)
2. Gyrate (hidden)
3. Hwyl (2nd letters)
4. Royal Flush (pun)
5. Invoice (deductive anag.)
23 of 33  -   Report This Post

chrise

23rd July 2013, 17:02
Oh my goodness - HWYL - how clever!

(Needless to say, it wasn't my answer)
24 of 33  -   Report This Post

andyc

23rd July 2013, 17:05
Ranker that makes sense well done GK.
25 of 33  -   Report This Post

chrise

23rd July 2013, 17:09
Kick myself time over RANKER - I was trying to work OR ("other ranks") into the answer.
26 of 33  -   Report This Post

jolan

23rd July 2013, 17:24
Hi everybody. Andyc 4/5), Rossim, Chrise, Ros (Hope you enjoy Penygroes - HWYL da! lol) ,Jazzy and GK 5/5. Hope I've not missed anyone. I'm glad about #1 being solved, as I'm not too keen on doubles (for cold solving).

I'm not going away, just taking a wee break. The muse is getting a bit scarce at present and I feel I need a break (you too!!!).

1. (double) RANKER. rank = disagreeable (Chambers Thes); Ranker = “Private soldier” (Chambers D)

2. It’s “in” there (what went previously “surrounds” the solution); GYRATE = circle

3. t(H)ree a(W)ful c(Y)berterrorist p(L)attitudes [each one following the first]; HWYL = emotional fervour (Chambers)

4. (cryptic) deployed = brought into use; ROYAL FLUSH = top hand

5. subtractive anagram (not & manoeuvring) of “avoided by nice” – “by dead” = INVOICE = reckoning (Chambers and Concise Oxford Thesauri)

For those golfers among us, sorry about the mist. Andy, I'm sure you REALLY achieved that hole-in-one. It was just too misty to have been witnessed.

Thanks a million for your participation. Have a lovely summer. John

Off to have a "wee" bite now. Will have a peek in later.
27 of 33  -   Report This Post

jolan

23rd July 2013, 17:26
I did miss someone. ARI. Sorry!
28 of 33  -   Report This Post

andyc

23rd July 2013, 17:33
Thank you for your clues Jolan...the sun is shining now on the Island and golf would now definitely be on. If I ever get a hole in one I'll arrange a drink for you! Enjoy your break from setting the devious challenges.

Andy
29 of 33  -   Report This Post

rossim

23rd July 2013, 17:36
I had ROYAL FLUSH and worked out HWYL but didn't think it was a word. It looked Welsh, which it is! Had no time to try any more.
Have a good break Jolan and thanks for all your effort.
30 of 33  -   Report This Post