CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

ixion

1st May 2013, 19:23
Nice clue shooty, interesting word Les
31 of 56  -   Report This Post

paul

1st May 2013, 19:24
My head is so full of other stuff I didn't even notice it was done and dusted! Well done Shooty, don't let my remarks detract from your elegance!
32 of 56  -   Report This Post

theambler

1st May 2013, 19:40
Just arrived in the real world from childcare by pensioner!!!
Well done shooty.
By the way.
Who is/are/were Hall , Oates and Cat (Catherine??) Stevens.
And although Les can see the parsing I cant find a definition. Surely not 'mentor'.

Heres one I made yesterday.
Holey Persian carpet. Spellcheck advised.

Lots of love
Thea
33 of 56  -   Report This Post

rosalind

1st May 2013, 19:47
Please would someone explain shooty's clue to me?
34 of 56  -   Report This Post

shooty

1st May 2013, 19:49
Thank you Les for the kind words and the accolade (the link). aristophanes No 9 made me smile and BBM's No 18 worked very well indeed as did redundantelfs No 12. So many other great clues also for a challenging word, I think.
I had not really thought this through as I didn't think I would be selected. (I joined in for fun). I work 13 Hr days on a building site with no laptop or internet. Therefore I will not be able to set next weeks challenge in your regular times and deadlines. So I am asking if it would be possible for a stand in to cover Please.
35 of 56  -   Report This Post

shooty

1st May 2013, 19:58
Explanation.
Hall 'n' Oates say, avoids ways to confuse Cat Stevens mentor (9)

I gave it a musician theme.

Hall and Oates (famous duet of the 80's)
Hall 'n' Oates say (letters to be considered)
avoid ways = take out all directions [ i.e N,S,E,W]
to confuse is the anagram indicator of remaining letters.
Cat stevens is a famous musician from the 60s/70s.
he converted to Islam and changed his name to 'Yusuf Islam'.
Therefore, Yusuf islams mentor would be an' ayatollah'.

36 of 56  -   Report This Post

les40

1st May 2013, 20:00
OK, The parse I believe is (and please correct me if I'm wrong)

Hall 'n' Oates say, avoids ways to confuse Cat Stevens mentor (9)

Hall 'n' Oates say = anagram fodder
avoids ways = extract - N E S S from this
to confuse = Anagram indicator
Cat Stevens mentor = Def

Cat Stevens is a musician who was prevalent in the 70's & 80's . He converted to Islam and changed his name to Yusif Islam and has done much work around this since.
An Islamic leader is an Ayatollah, so maybe can be construed as a Mentor to him as his religious leader.

Also, (and this is the bit that clinched it for me) Daryl Hall and John Oates - also musicians around in the late 60's, 70's and 80's had a song called 'She's gone' and they likened it to (and I loosely quote) "A funky song like a Cat Stevens number"

Hope that's correct Shooty.

I did like the clues from the rest of the setters but that one just took the edge for me this week.

Les40
37 of 56  -   Report This Post

shooty

1st May 2013, 20:04
spot on. look above. : )
38 of 56  -   Report This Post

rosalind

1st May 2013, 20:06
Thank you for the explanations
Maybe a second choice Les, as shooty can't set next week? I would do the Miss Moneypernny bit but I guess he/she couldn't judge it either?
39 of 56  -   Report This Post

bigbadmarty2

1st May 2013, 20:08
Well done shooty and thanks for the mention .
My work circumstances are (uncannily !) similar to yours .When I am lucky enough to win one of these contests , a rather special lady normally offers to help out .

Pastille has also offered her services - but I reckon she just wants to try out the pencil skirt and stiletto heels...
40 of 56  -   Report This Post