CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

cloverjo

14th April 2013, 17:08
Struggling with this one. Clues are tough, and can't figure out how the grid works. Are the blank entries wholly empty, and are they symmetrically placed?
1 of 12  -   Report This Post

cruciverbalist

14th April 2013, 19:44
Yes and yes !

e-mail me if you need any clue-specific hints:

cruciverbalist@btinternet.com
2 of 12  -   Report This Post

unclued

14th April 2013, 20:47
Cleverjo - I solved about half of the clues and was putting nothing in the grid and about to give up in frustration! Then I thought about the most likely places to find the unclued words, if you get my drift. Also the large number of 3 letter words meant that it was unlikely that the four letter spaces would be unclued. Once I had identified those four spaces I could fit in virtually all of my answers.
3 of 12  -   Report This Post

cloverjo

15th April 2013, 00:12
Thanks cruciverbalist.
Thanks unclued. I have found where the blank entries are. Trying to piece my meagre offerings into the right places now.
4 of 12  -   Report This Post

igm

15th April 2013, 09:02
Puzzled by the fact that there only two 8 letter clues and only two 7 letter clues, but four 8 letter grid entries and six 7 letter grid entries, so there should be six blank entries not four?
5 of 12  -   Report This Post

gem94

15th April 2013, 09:09
IGM - there are a lot more apparent discrepancies than that, but there is no error in the preamble. Look back to the first post in the thread, and its response.
6 of 12  -   Report This Post

leon

19th April 2013, 16:09
completely baffled by the code, the letters I have make no sense any tips on how to proceed will be much appreciated
7 of 12  -   Report This Post

drvirgil

19th April 2013, 19:41
Leon - it's well worth sticking with this one as it is a very impressive puzzle.

I started with the 8 letter answers. As there are spaces for four 8-letter entries in the grid and there are only two 8-letter clues, then you know that two of the 8 letter entries in the grid aren't clued. It helps if you have the answers, of course!

That was my way in.

Drop me an email on ttxjd17@nottingham.ac.uk if you want any clue specific guidance.
8 of 12  -   Report This Post

leon

19th April 2013, 20:10
drvirgil, I do have a full grid (finally completed this morning) bar the four unclued. its the 26 letters I have czo................wad, and cipher bit that I just don't get, maybe I'm not reading the instructions correctly
9 of 12  -   Report This Post

drvirgil

19th April 2013, 23:22
Leon - the superfluous letters you get from the clues spell the names of four individuals who are responsible for the 'disappearance' of the four unclued entries.

'CZO-' seems as if it is rubbish, but it's not! It's the start of a surname...

The fourth name should end ...WALD not WAD. (the 'L' comes from the Rods of Head Master clue). Make sure you start your numbering from the top left hand corner of the grid as per a normal crossword.

I hope I haven't given too much away...keep thinking about people who might be responsible for the 'disappearance' of other people and you'll get there....

10 of 12  -   Report This Post