CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

rosalind

29th March 2013, 11:36
I think some nostalgia might be in order.
At Easter I used to be sent (and not only as a child!) to collect at least half a pan full of gorse flowers, so my mother could dye the hard boiled eggs yellow. On Easter Day we then "jarped" them by bashing their ends together. The winner was the last one with an unsmashed end on their egg.
"When gorse stops flowering, kissing stops" but you'd be hard put to find many of the yellow flowers out now, even if you dared pick them!
1 of 22  -   Report This Post

chrise

29th March 2013, 11:40
Hi rosalind
I read somewhere that we have lots of very similar but different species of gorse, at least one of which is in flower in any month of the year.
2 of 22  -   Report This Post

rosalind

29th March 2013, 11:44
Hi chris
I guess that must be the origin of the saying, since kissing hardly stops! I grew up in Birkenhead (which I am fond of saying was not fit for a pig to live in, which is possibly unkind to pigs) so there wasn't much gorse anywhere. Fag ends would have been a lot easier
R
3 of 22  -   Report This Post

emrach

29th March 2013, 11:51
No flower collecting for me just painting boiled eggs and making Easter cards at Sunday school. We always had a huge Easter lunch with friends and family. For my two we had a treasure hunt in the garden and took Daffodils to the local Old Folks Home who loved seeing the girls but the girls didn't like it!! To be honest we don't even bother with eggs now Bah humbug :)
4 of 22  -   Report This Post

rosalind

29th March 2013, 12:20
That was a really good thing to do for the Old Folk's Home, emrach.
I confess to having (so far) bought 3 chocolate eggs for my grandson because my fingers got a bit itchy. I bet I won't be able to find the third on Easter Day as I've hidden it so well (from myself LOL). Maybe I'd best get another, just in case.......
5 of 22  -   Report This Post

rossim

29th March 2013, 12:24
I remember at church on Easter Sunday the rector told us we should be happier to receive a hen's egg than a chocolate one.
I was far too young to understand his message at the time - but I still don't agree with him!
6 of 22  -   Report This Post

rosalind

29th March 2013, 12:34
Can't begin to understand that message, rossim.You must have been very struck to remember it, though.

Gosh, those Stork cupcakes look delicious! Anyone for tea?
7 of 22  -   Report This Post

rossim

29th March 2013, 13:01
I suppose it was to do with eggs representing new life and all that. That is why we have chocolate ones but they aren't the 'real thing'. Yes, it did make a big impression, as that's all I remember.
And.... There is a green hill......to whooooom the lips of children. I could never work out how they whooomed!
8 of 22  -   Report This Post

rosalind

29th March 2013, 13:12
Haha, rossim
I could never understand how Witch Arts got to Heaven, nor could I make any sense whatever of the line " In vain the surge's angry shock", quite apart from making "angry" have 3 syllables
9 of 22  -   Report This Post

emrach

29th March 2013, 13:30
At the ripe old age of 7 I announced to parents (both non-believers) that I didn't want to go to the C of Scotland anymore and declared my self a Baptist and went to the church it was great fun sitting around with a guitar and singing I felt like a hippy. Not exactly the right reasons to attend church!!!
10 of 22  -   Report This Post