CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

aristophanes

10th January 2013, 19:57
I do know the plant, and it grows here, but I haven't noticed it in my neighborhood. It's called fireweed because it takes over in burned areas. What we do have a lot of here is purple loosestrife, a European invasive that chokes out native wetland plants. The Charles River runs through my town (well upstream from Boston) and the flood plain is breathtaking when this plant is in bloom, but local beauties like the cardinal flower just can't compete with it.
71 of 80  -   Report This Post

chrise

10th January 2013, 20:01
It is a shame that foreign plants can take over in that way. Over here, purple loosestrife is a fairly uncommon (and sought after) plant, considered attractive.

I have seen Fuchsia as a "weed" in Connemara (Ireland).
72 of 80  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

10th January 2013, 20:15
So nice to chat with other plant-lovers. So many of our neighbors have turned their land into virtual deserts (you know, the suburban look) and seem to look askance at us because "there's a there" here. Really, I can't imagine anything more magnificent than our native flora. Why would anyone want to replace Aronia arbutifolia and Viburnum dentatum and V. acerifolium with Japanese yews?
73 of 80  -   Report This Post

chrise

10th January 2013, 20:18
Yes indeed, aristo.

Are you in contact with any other US fern enthusiasts? We have met a few.
74 of 80  -   Report This Post

rosalind

10th January 2013, 20:23
I know what you mean, aristo, though I do love the tranquility of some Japanese gardens, even those made of raked gravel and Acers (and enjoy Japanese cooking). But, if a Japanese yew is really a yew, why is anyone growing it in their yard? The berries of our common yew are pretty poisonous.
75 of 80  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

10th January 2013, 20:31
No, chrise, I'm not. I'm a steward rather than a collector, and that's perhaps why.

Nothing against things Japanese, Rosalind; in fact there's a gorgeous Sharaku looking down at me. It's just the idea of buying plants by the yard and bulldozing the ones that grew where they've grown forever to make way for them.
76 of 80  -   Report This Post

chrise

10th January 2013, 20:36
And very valuable, as such, aristo!
77 of 80  -   Report This Post

rosalind

10th January 2013, 23:26
Well I absolutely agree with you there, aristo
78 of 80  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

10th January 2013, 23:33
Oh! The lovely Rosalind, up late. Sorry about going off on a rant.
79 of 80  -   Report This Post

pastille

10th January 2013, 23:39
Not long home.....rant Mr A??? Will leave this huge thread till tomorrow....looks like you've been having fun...x
80 of 80  -   Report This Post