CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

greedy kite

3rd November 2012, 14:45
Thank you again mamya. What I would really like to know is: Does anyone here have experience with special software for these purposes like (I think it was called) "CAT" -- an offer I turned down (roughly 30-40 Euros if I remember rightly)a long time ago for the reasons already indicated? Are they really good, or would you regard them as taboo anyway? Have never heard an opinion expressed on them here, & don't fancy staying out in the dark for the rest of my days................
21 of 70  -   Report This Post

mamya

3rd November 2012, 14:48
I personally have no experience of any of that type os software, only use the standard free to use solvers, helpful in the main but not always.

Then again I am very frugal with my pennies.
22 of 70  -   Report This Post

mrs trellis

3rd November 2012, 16:06
Hi gk & mamya. I did get the second one by using an anagram solving help-site, but the first one wasn't on there, so I was grateful for Mamya's hint. gk, I don't see why having software would be any more taboo than using any other sites - or indeed this forum. Personally I wouldn't bother paying for one, but each to his/her own.
23 of 70  -   Report This Post

greedy kite

3rd November 2012, 16:32
I completely agree, Mrs T. Just wondered if anyone on the forum actually knows these "aids" & can recommend (the best) one of them, as my friend is here another day only, & he could help install it if necessary (I'm too stupuid to risk that alone).All because I find the prospect of looking for very long book titles amongst literally billions more than usually daunting. I'm sure certain people would regard this as another form of cheating.
24 of 70  -   Report This Post

macmillanquizzer

3rd November 2012, 16:55
Don't get hung up by the thought of long anagrams, GK. Wait and see - I hope you'll be pleasantly surprised!

In the meantime here's a final book title taster before tomorrow morning....

Rattle lazy cheat. Tender comfort – no upkeep. (3,3,3,3,2,10,11)
25 of 70  -   Report This Post

mamya

3rd November 2012, 17:21
Now that is a belter !! Love it.
26 of 70  -   Report This Post

greedy kite

3rd November 2012, 18:26
Got it quickly too, admire your creativity too --- but are 90% anagrams as usual? I don't mean that critically even: I'd just like to prepare myself spiritually for a long hard slog with some if necessary, believe me! Seems a mixture of knowledge, hard work & chance --- not that there's anything wrong with that of course............
27 of 70  -   Report This Post

macmillanquizzer

3rd November 2012, 22:12
OK, GK. How about this book title clue (again not in the quiz)?

Alien TV show Pyrenean first revealed in sleep-over. (5,3)
28 of 70  -   Report This Post

greedy kite

4th November 2012, 07:58
Morning, MQ! Too busy watching French talk-show half the night to notice your personalized clue earlier!Strangely enough, though it's so much shorter,I'm baffled.Could you let me into a secret: is there a hint about the title there at all, and if so, at beginning or end?Presumably it's at least partly an anagram (actually Pyrennean needs double 'n' but that doesn't matter, I assume)."Sleep-over" is almost too recent an exp. for me (excuses again, you see)!!And alien stories are not my cup of tea --- but perhaps that's an anagrind (ugh!).I notice nobody else has tried!
P.S. What time does THE REAL THING get posted?
And despite all my queries, thank you for the additional warming-up number!
29 of 70  -   Report This Post

mrs trellis

4th November 2012, 08:38
Don't forget the definition is a book gk, I've just got it so I'm sure you will. It's all clever wordplay. Think Mr M said kick-off is 9am.
30 of 70  -   Report This Post