CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

Home » Forum » RT19

chris4food

1st May 2012, 16:01
Hi Jazzgirl, Chrisg and Magworth
I recognised your names Jazzgirl and Marworth, so thought I'd look at your thread, and lo and behold it was the RT19 one, so thought I'd start another RT19, so that people recognise the thread and perhaps look at your other one to see what's been happening.... Oh dear, I haven't spoken to anyone all day, and here I am rambling away..
Last week people were mentioning their age, and judging by the comments, it made me feel like a young whippersnapper amongst all you venerable lot...
Anyway, the crossword - well I finished it in record time for me [an hour with a cat-nap included] It must be getting easier.
First clue to fall for me was 12a - all that wine drinking is obviously educational...
One of the last to fall was 4d - suffered from a senior moment - one of those 'It's on the tip of my tongue moments'.
last to fall 19d - got the answer [I hope], but don't really see the drive bit, unless it relates to a famous American one?
Cheers to everyone who shows up - best wishes to all those recovering from illness and/or hospital visits
Enjoy your cruises - I've never been on one, but would love to do so.
Chris
1 of 45  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

1st May 2012, 16:20
Hi Chris
Thanks for opening the "official RT19" ;)
I see myself as a young "whippersnapper" but sometimes feel a lot older when the brain stops working.
re 19d "Drive to equine exhibition (5) I took it to be the famous Drive in California as well as the horse show. Otherwise I think the wordplay would have been "driven" rather than "drive" but maybe someone has a better explanation.
Nothing to do with crosswords, but I heard the first Cuckoo this morning. I wasn't absolutely sure, so recorded it's call on the camera, then compared it to the official ones on the internet. There is a wild heath not too far away and it seemed to come from that direction. Will take a walk later and check it out.
Best wishes to all
J
2 of 45  -   Report This Post

old gal

1st May 2012, 16:57
Hello everyone! A very early post for me - just started xword but completed 7 clues already, very good for me! It must be getting easier. Hope you enjoy your cruise Magworthy but where or what is The Hermitage? Hi Your Majesty, Queen of all CRosswords, Jazzgirl......will be pleading for enlightenment later in the week!
3 of 45  -   Report This Post

chris4food

1st May 2012, 17:39
Hi Jazzgirl, and yes, that's the drive I was thinking of, too.
Hi OldGal - was it you last week who put the T on Chris - if it was, not to worry, it made me laugh and I'm used to being venerated....
Hope the training is coming along okay - I've still to donate, but hand on heart, will.
Sorry, if I put you on the spot asking for your site, being female, I should have been more aware of inherent dangers....
The weather here is wet, wet, wet and more wet to come - if this is a drought, I don't want to be here when we have the deluge!
Jazzgirl, not up on birds, but do love to see them in the garden
Cheers to everyone
Chris
4 of 45  -   Report This Post

chris4food

1st May 2012, 17:56
Hey, Oldgal, as promised I made my donation to Just Giving - as I only know you as Oldgal and don't know where you'll be racing [sorry, trotting!] I wasn't able to donate to you personally - hope this is okay.
Good luck - and well done, you!
Chris
5 of 45  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

1st May 2012, 18:45
hi old gal
You're doing well. I guess Mags will be visiting the Hermitage in St Petersburg, Russia . If so, what a lucky girl.
I've just bought 3 books of tickets for the Macmillan Summer raffle. Every little helps.
J

6 of 45  -   Report This Post

magworth

1st May 2012, 21:10
Hi Old gal - as Jazzgirl says, The Hermitage is a vast museum cum art gallery - possibly the biggest in the world, and houses some of the greatest paintings, Faberge items etc. I can only hope to see a small portion esp as walking can become painful.
Chris -I didn`t really mean to start the RT thread, was only commenting on last week`s Trackword. I thought if fiendish at first but then had no problems tho` 19d took longest. M.
7 of 45  -   Report This Post

magworth

1st May 2012, 21:49
Just Googled _______Drive. it`s in Beverley Hills.
I asked a taxi Driver in LA to take me to Wiltshire Boulevard. He didn`t know where it was! No `Knowledge` to learn there, like London cab drivers. M.
8 of 45  -   Report This Post

rossim

1st May 2012, 21:56
Jazzgirl - if you thought you heard a cuckoo then you were probably right. By coincidence it was announced today that two of the BTO sponsored cuckoos have just arrived back in UK. You might be interested in this link.

http://www.bto.org/science/migration/tracking-studies/cuckoo-tracking
9 of 45  -   Report This Post

chris4food

1st May 2012, 22:04
Hey, Magworth, don't want to be pedantic [but I am] - but think it's Wilshire Drive in the USofA [without the T]- BUT, I'm prepared to be corrected on that one!! Maybe that's why the taxi driver didn't know where it was [was it a silent T??]
lol
Chris
Your trip sounds fantastic - oh dear, just realised - tripping the light fantastic.... I think I've imbibed too much vino - got a hospital appointment tomorrow and trying to deaden the nerves!!!
Cheers
10 of 45  -   Report This Post
Home » Forum » RT19