CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

greedy kite

22nd December 2011, 21:38
Two for Aristo or any other Yankee still around:
Playground of wealthiest families in Big Apple:5,6 begins with F
Pass the US summer in a torpid state:8,begins E
As far as I can see the clues are NOT cryptic
1 of 33  -   Report This Post

trevor

22nd December 2011, 22:02
sorry, no answers but why do people call you gleb?
2 of 33  -   Report This Post

greedy kite

22nd December 2011, 22:14
Aristo taught me the word: it's a Scottish word for kite (v.Google,I think) which (but I'm repeating myself now) is the meaning of my family name,hence his quips about my (supposed) figure...Do you not know this Prospect Mag Generalist thing by Didymus?Involves too much googling,and at the end this time at least the usual logical problems fitting in all the answers.Try it! and if so,see sdkl's answer to my q on the other thread posted a few minutes ago.Good luck:we've got 3 weeks (tho' I admit I often get impatient...)
3 of 33  -   Report This Post

sudokulover

22nd December 2011, 22:29
fifth avenue
4 of 33  -   Report This Post

sudokulover

22nd December 2011, 22:29
estivate
5 of 33  -   Report This Post

trevor

22nd December 2011, 22:36
cheers Greedy Kite, for explanation and recommendation, might give it a whirl.
all the best,
trevor.
6 of 33  -   Report This Post

greedy kite

22nd December 2011, 23:18
Once again many thanks,sdkl:ashamed about 5th Av.!Only 1 I couldn't find in 2nd half:Food counter in a cafeteria 7 beginning S (will my excuse work this time that I've been out of the country too long?must be ridiculously easy...)
7 of 33  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

22nd December 2011, 23:26
Actually, I think gled is Anglo-Saxon, though Scott uses it. I recalled "greedy gled" from somewhere in the nether-brain, and how many people do you know who flaunt their greediness? Gosh, that was a stupid thing to say. I mean who think of it as part of their persona... I mean... Oh, heck, I guess it's not that unusual. But I don't think GK is the greedy type; in fact he seems very personable.
8 of 33  -   Report This Post

greedy kite

22nd December 2011, 23:33
To Aristo:oh,yes,I'm very personable...but greedy,too...
To anyone,but esp. sdkl:I forgot the 2nd K one (church organ etc,4,1'8) as googling only leads to organ in the other sense!For those not yet initiated (it's a slog:WARNING)the full clue is:Dismissive term for church organ,by some Ulster Presbyterians.(How on earth do you find that one if you're not a P in U yourself?read it in the papers?)
9 of 33  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

22nd December 2011, 23:36
Compelled to google it. From The Life of John Duncan:

To save a bawbee, he was ready not only to scrimp his men, but to pinch himself to a degree incredible even in the annals of parsimony. He used to serve his ploughmen with the sourest of buttermilk, and when it was so far gone as to be refused by them with no muttered curses, his like-spirited housekeeper would come to her master, saying, "We'll better gae that buttermilk to the weyvers, for our men winna sup it." "Just sac," replied the churl; "and if they winna tak' it, I'll sup it mysal'!" continued "the nasty greedy glide," [The gled, an old Anglo-Saxon word for the kite.]
10 of 33  -   Report This Post