CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

eb

15th January 2011, 19:59
I got 22/14ac but can someone please explain the clue? And what has 14ac got to do with stuffed mushrooms?

Many thanks.
21 of 40  -   Report This Post

ab

15th January 2011, 20:19
I think it was Shirley Conran who said that life was too short to stuff a mushroom
22 of 40  -   Report This Post

eb

15th January 2011, 20:30
Thanks AB - have to admit that I haven't seen that quote before.
As for the clue itself:
"We haven't time to waste on trivia: how about art?"
I can see how the first part relates to the answer but not the "how about art" part - is there another quote/saying 'lurking' here - again of which I am unaware?
23 of 40  -   Report This Post

ab

15th January 2011, 20:39
Just a thought (don't have crossword) but it might relate to the saying "ars longa vita brevis" by Hippocrates , meaning "Art is long but life is short"
24 of 40  -   Report This Post

eb

15th January 2011, 20:48
AB - many thanks again, that's brilliant!
Just looked up the quote - and I'm sure you are absolutely correct; this is a very typical clue for this setter - Araucaria; his range of references is amazing.
Thanks again.
25 of 40  -   Report This Post

glynis

15th January 2011, 22:38
Used this site a lot. Feel totally cheated / confused until I realised that my Guardian had last weeks Paul crossword.
26 of 40  -   Report This Post

b

16th January 2011, 00:38
Nobody seems to be at all upset (excet me),I bought the Guardian today, and Iv'e got an old crossword!! £2.00 quid! You must all be very rich!
27 of 40  -   Report This Post

bathtub

16th January 2011, 04:30
They'd run out of Grauniads when I went to buy one - they had a couple of crumpled sections which I tried to get for free, but they (Sainsburys) insisted I'd have to pay full price, so I refused. Why the fuss over who the quote is attrbuted to? Araucaria doesn't attribute it one way or t'other: the reality is that Scott compiled a book of verse and included the Mordaunt quotation.
This puzzle is almost certainly going to be declared null and void by the paper, in which case I'm going to complain.
28 of 40  -   Report This Post

monkey puzzle

16th January 2011, 08:25
They used to call the Guardian the Gruniad, because of the continual misprints. Seems that things haven't changed much since I started to read the paper in the late 70's. However, its worth pointing out that, unlike the Telegraph and the Times, the Guardian lets you use the 'net to do all the crosswords so if you are unemployed like me, at least you don't have to part with £2 every Saturday. About the only reason I still buy the Sunday Times is for the prize crossword, as the paper have gone terribly down market lately.
29 of 40  -   Report This Post

wendy

16th January 2011, 08:50
Bathtub,

Why not use the online versions which are totally free... You'll find the Guardian here:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/crosswords

and the FT:

http://www.ft.com/arts/crossword
30 of 40  -   Report This Post