CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

 

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

malone

9th October 2026, 08:23
The clues...
Requests for help should normally include the clue itself, the number of letters in the answer, and details of any you already have. Any additional information or special instructions, common in Listener puzzles, should also be included.
Hints only, please, no answers.

The theme...
Help with the theme may also be sought here. The assistance given should be fairly gentle in nature, just a nudge or pointer in the right direction. Avoid anything that could spoil the puzzle for other solvers.

If anyone feels that too much has been revealed, please get in touch with the site administrator - Norah.evoluted@aol.com. Norah errs on the side of caution, anything at all iffy is likely to be removed.

The Listener is a unique puzzle and should be treated with respect.

NB This is being posted so early because I will be out for most of the day.
1 of 9  -   Report This Post

malone

9th October 2026, 15:56
I have returned, so am bumping this up a bit!
2 of 9  -   Report This Post

upsetter

9th October 2026, 17:16
A lovely construction and a favourite work.
Great fun and a perfect entry level Listener.

Thanks, Chalicea.
3 of 9  -   Report This Post

jbird54

9th October 2026, 17:41
I felt this was very straightforward, with the theme becoming clear early on. IMO insufficiently challenging for the Listener.
4 of 9  -   Report This Post

dylan

9th October 2026, 18:18
I’m inclined to agree, all done by 6pm!
5 of 9  -   Report This Post

jack aubrey

9th October 2026, 18:54
I too was all done by the cocktail hour but I’m not convinced by the “too easy” case. Back in the day, my leading grade was HVS but I thoroughly enjoyed excellent climbs at VDiff or Severe (Agag’s Groove, the Cioch Nose and Ardverikie Wall all come to mind). For me, what matters is quality and Chalicea always delivers elegant and satisfying puzzles in the easier range and this is no exception. On the other hand, my attitude to the thematic material is rather in the Dorothy Parker camp….
6 of 9  -   Report This Post

cockie

9th October 2026, 19:35
Totally agree, JA, and impressed by your skills! I wonder whether jbird54 might try setting - it's not as easy as it looks. If Shirley's puzzles
encourage inexperienced solvers to keep plugging away then she will have done us all a great service. Good on you, girl!
7 of 9  -   Report This Post

jbird54

9th October 2026, 20:35
cockie - I'm sure I'd be useless at clue-writing! I'm not trying to criticise the setter; I just feel easier puzzles appear rather more often these days
8 of 9  -   Report This Post

brendan

9th October 2026, 22:21
Thanks to the ever-reliable Chalicea for an entertaining puzzle.

I still haven't figured out exactly how 34a works but it's early days so please, no hints. I have the answer and its connection to the preamble, so I'll just sleep on it and revisit it again tomorrow.

On the "is this too easy for a Listener" issue, I'll make the point that I've no doubt made before: In this computer age, it's essential there are occasional entry level puzzles to entice the younger generation into the world of barred cryptics.
9 of 9  -   Report This Post