CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

 

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

bobbycollins

8th October 2026, 15:05
Quiller Memorandum actress delivered a meat sandwich we hear (5,6)

SENTA BERGER

Am I reasonably expected to know that, or, more scarily, am I becoming a REALLY old fogey such as the judge in the mid sixties who had never heard of The Beatles? I am honestly being serious.
1 of 7  -   Report This Post

candledave

8th October 2026, 15:08
I think you would need to be an old fogey to have heard of her considering the film was from 1966

Seems a pretty tough clue
2 of 7  -   Report This Post

bobbycollins

8th October 2026, 15:18
What a relief, candledave!
3 of 7  -   Report This Post

malone

8th October 2026, 15:22
It might have been a reasonable clue in the 60s, maybe even the early 70s - but not, surely, in 2026! Is that crossword one of the ones where old puzzles are recycled (years later)?
4 of 7  -   Report This Post

jono

8th October 2026, 18:49
The i reprints puzzles from the Independent. This clue seems to come from a 2023 Indi puzzle by Tees. Though not identical it’s very similar…

Quiller actor delivered a meat sandwich we hear (5,6)
5 of 7  -   Report This Post

buddy

8th October 2026, 19:22
Oh, for the days of a good old Herbert Beerbohm Tree clue, They just don't write 'em like that anymore,
6 of 7  -   Report This Post

geeker

8th October 2026, 20:01
In my days of doing the N Y Times daily crossword ('80s and '90s), Senta Berger often (or at least often enough for me to recall) appeared in solutions and clues. I never even knew who she was, but filed the name in my "crosswords only" vocabulary memory. 😂
7 of 7  -   Report This Post