CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

 

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

ethereal

23rd August 2026, 14:46
My favourite was 8d. Archeopteryx etc: their first includes worms. Only after looking up the creatures in the dictionary and entering the answer did I get the worms part, which made me laugh.
11 of 17  -   Report This Post

rafflesthegt

23rd August 2026, 14:53
Liked 8d too😀

COD 23a - took ages to settle on the last letter (not being much of a sports fan, except for hurling, which doesn’t have extra time as the GAA love a replay/extra gate!).
12 of 17  -   Report This Post

geeker

24th August 2026, 09:59
Enjoyed the puzzle, though difficult for an Everyman.
I also DNF (19d) due to the same mistake others made with 24. 😢
13 of 17  -   Report This Post

bby

24th August 2026, 12:40
I'm struggling to parse 9a - if I anagram the 3 and 5 letter words and insert a 3-letter primate I can get the right definition but am left over a spare "o". Can someone here explain?
14 of 17  -   Report This Post

geeker

24th August 2026, 14:36
bby, the 5-letter word is not anagram fodder, only the first letter is used.

Parsing is [3 (a 3-letter word in clue), 1 (abbrev for a 5-letter word in clue), 3 (primate)] inside (1,1) (the usual crossword dodge for "on board").
15 of 17  -   Report This Post

geeker

24th August 2026, 14:38
Sorry, only the first *2* letters of the 5-letter word are used.
So parsing is [3, 2, 3] inside (1,1).
Apologies.

Interesting that your plausible alternative comes so close to parsing.
16 of 17  -   Report This Post

bby

24th August 2026, 15:18
Thanks - I see it now!
17 of 17  -   Report This Post