CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

 

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

jack aubrey

19th August 2026, 13:04
Och, haud yir wheest, man!
11 of 21  -   Report This Post

malone

19th August 2026, 13:06
Thanks, Jack, I think I was avoiding Wiki because I was feert, feert I'd get sucked into some awfie piece o' nonsense - and see much mair than Ah'd ever want to ken. I'll take a daunder oor tae Wikiland this efternin.
12 of 21  -   Report This Post

brendan

19th August 2026, 13:12
😂 I asked for that

Praise to you both - brilliant.
13 of 21  -   Report This Post

malone

19th August 2026, 13:16
Brendan, nae tother a ba'.* It's aye guid tae gie some auld words an airing.

* Perhaps too niche?
14 of 21  -   Report This Post

brendan

19th August 2026, 13:27
Not too niche at all and I'm delighted these beautiful words and phrases are getting an airing. It's about time...

In the words of the inimitable Rab C Nesbitt: "So, life has meaning - except for viewers in Scotland"
15 of 21  -   Report This Post

malone

19th August 2026, 13:40
Brendan, glad you're finding these words beautiful. The tricky part for me is the spelling - I know lots of (Scottish) words very well, but have only ever heard them, not seen them written down. My little Scottish dictionary is far too wee to be useful.


16 of 21  -   Report This Post

jack aubrey

19th August 2026, 13:50
Try the online Dictionars O The Scots Leid at dsl.ac.uk
17 of 21  -   Report This Post

jack aubrey

19th August 2026, 13:57
It demonstrates that Scots spelling is very variable. For example, there are 16 different spellings of ”wheesht”.
18 of 21  -   Report This Post

malone

19th August 2026, 14:03
Thanks, Jack. I had a quick look and there definitely seemed some interesting stuff. It was good to distract me from my irritation with a Private Eye clue....
Base weakness of speaker (5)

No, no, no.... though when this one crops up (it's a pretty hackneyed clue) there are always plenty of people who say that's how they pronounce the word. I always think 'Good for you, what about the millions of others - all living in Britain - who don't and have to think hard to contrive to make them sound alike?'
19 of 21  -   Report This Post

brendan

19th August 2026, 14:36
I've bookmarked the dictionary so hopefully I'll be able to join in our next blether (another one Ginge taught me).

Malone @5

By way of showing solidarity with your joy of silence, I thought you might enjoy this old classic - bit of a cliche, I know, but still...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWVUp12XPpU

20 of 21  -   Report This Post
Home » Forum » EV 1760