CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

 

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

anthonystmichel

16th August 2026, 07:25
Can anyone parse 4d?

Freeze off-screen commentary that's not very old (3,4).

I don't want to give answer so I will just say definition is freeze.
1 of 10  -   Report This Post

jono

16th August 2026, 07:31
It’s a two word phrase for a commentary eg on a tv programme with the first two letters (very old) removed.
2 of 10  -   Report This Post

anthonystmichel

16th August 2026, 07:36
Ah, got you. Thank you.
3 of 10  -   Report This Post

dicki

16th August 2026, 08:29
41A. I used to play bridge and an 'extremely bad hand' would be a Yarborough, which fits but I cannot parse it. Maybe I am barking up the entirely wrong tree!
4 of 10  -   Report This Post

strangelybrown

16th August 2026, 11:07
Sorry Dickl can't help with 41a, haven't solved it myself.

40a Plant distribution study work suffering setback in brief life time, quietly hard years (12)
Biogeography fits, but I can only parse the last three letters.

22d Perhaps service firm which is built on branches (4,5)
Tree house fits, I can see the definition but not the construction.
5 of 10  -   Report This Post

brendan

16th August 2026, 11:22
40a - work = "go" reversed'/suffering setback' inside "biog" (brief life) and "era" for 'time'
6 of 10  -   Report This Post

quisling

16th August 2026, 11:33
41a is nothing to do with bridge. Hand refers to writing
7 of 10  -   Report This Post

jono

16th August 2026, 11:35
22d. Service is a type of tree (the Rowan). House, as in fashion house, can be a firm.
8 of 10  -   Report This Post

strangelybrown

16th August 2026, 11:40
Thanks
9 of 10  -   Report This Post

dicki

16th August 2026, 14:24
Thanks got it now. Pity about the bridge: it fitted so well except for everything else!
10 of 10  -   Report This Post