CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

druh6sm

21st May 2024, 21:20
Good evening.

#struggling

16a - Cheat in part sadly lacking in quiet grey matter? (10)

I have no idea here; what is the definition? What is the question mark all about? What type of clue is it?

21a - Allegation, one that’s harboured by reticent type (5)

Ditto

I have more questions but I’m always worried I incur the wrath of moderators!

1 of 8  -   Report This Post

jono

21st May 2024, 21:30
16 is an anagram indicated by “sadly”. However, you have one too many letters so you need to remove the one letter that means “quiet”.
The ? here, though not strictly necessary, reflects that the definition is a little tangential… it’s a grey and it’s matter but not “grey matter” as in “brains”.
2 of 8  -   Report This Post

buzzybee

21st May 2024, 21:32
Hi there druh6sm

I think that the defn in 16a is not strictly correct. Answer is an anagram of the first 3 words minus the musical abbreviation for "quiet", defn is clearly meant to be the last 2 words.

3 of 8  -   Report This Post

buzzybee

21st May 2024, 21:36
And 21a. Defn is 1st word, wordplay is usual letter for "one" inserted into 4-letter word for a marine exemplar of a "reticent type"
4 of 8  -   Report This Post

ianj

21st May 2024, 21:37
Hello druh6sm,

Not claiming to be an expert, but I'll try to help....

16a definition is the last two words, but not referring to brain grey matter, more something geological (I think!). The "lacking quiet" refers to removing a common crossword single letter (musical usage), otherwise "sadly" indicates anagram of first words. I only got this one with the help of the crossers!

21a definition is first word. "one" is common single letter to be included in a synonym for "reticent type".

Hope that helps, with apologies for any stupid mistakes I have made. Bit nervous that normally replies come from people who I can see are very experienced at this game!

5 of 8  -   Report This Post

ianj

21st May 2024, 21:39
doh! Looks like I was typing while others were replying!
6 of 8  -   Report This Post

druh6sm

21st May 2024, 22:08
Amazing. It sound so much more straightforward when you explain it like that.

I genuinely would pay serious money for one-to-one coaching!
7 of 8  -   Report This Post

quisling

21st May 2024, 22:52
IanJ, no need to be nervous, that was an excellent and thorough explanation 👍🏻
8 of 8  -   Report This Post