CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

cypherhouse

28th April 2024, 06:52
It sounds like others have found the uncommon two fairly quickly compared to everything else. I somehow have the duo, their statement, and the cryptic representation confidently.

I have a rather long third name that other comments in this thread lead me to believe is one of the uncommon ones (even though it looks common enough to me). I've checked every row, column, and diagonal for sensible names or even the other cryptic representation (since I suspect I know the length) and nothing has shaken loose.

Would anyone be able to help me cross the finish line?
31 of 95  -   Report This Post

hotelwhiskey7

28th April 2024, 07:03
A couple of things that might be helpful: the wordage of the preambles is generally very carefully done; as it’s a crossword, the checksum element of giving the numbers of cells to find may give a different answer to the number of letters.

Secondly, although it may be after the fact in this case, it’s always worth looking at the title for clues; this one in particular is quite clever.

It may dredge up a memory.
32 of 95  -   Report This Post

cypherhouse

28th April 2024, 07:15
Thanks for the advice HW7.

Unless my cryptic representation for the duo is wrong or I'm misunderstanding the straight line requirement there are only two options for the length of the other cryptic representation. I believe I checked them all.

As for the title, I see how it relates to the duo cryptic representation and statement. My assumption is that something similar is happening with the trio statement. If there's more to find, it appears Google isn't readily showing it when combining the title with the other name that I have.
33 of 95  -   Report This Post

hotelwhiskey7

28th April 2024, 07:21
I hope it isn’t giving too much away to confirm that the use of the term cells rather than letters implies the two cryptic references cross, and to reinforce the (obvious) fact that they are certainly going to be… thematic.
34 of 95  -   Report This Post

candledave

28th April 2024, 08:02
cypherhouse - I am afraid that the bit you are missing is very-British although is still not obvious

If you can somehow find the more usual name for the long one you have found, it will get you there or combine it with another name that is in the grid horizontally
35 of 95  -   Report This Post

cypherhouse

28th April 2024, 08:16
Thanks again HW7 and Candledave!

All sorted now! Quite a tough reference to find.
36 of 95  -   Report This Post

gitto

28th April 2024, 10:24
I am still totally stumped. I thought the two less commonly used names were part of the trio, but I know believe that they are the duo. Consequently I have no idea who the trio are, There is a name in a column who's response to a question is very similar to the final part of the statement from the duo, but beyond that I have nothing. If I sum the cells from those three names it totals 23.
37 of 95  -   Report This Post

candledave

28th April 2024, 10:30
Gitto - sound like you’re pretty close.

You were right originally - the unusual ones form part of the trio but sounds like you’re on the right lines with the duo
38 of 95  -   Report This Post

gitto

28th April 2024, 10:36
CD, so the occupations of the trio all begin with the same letter?
39 of 95  -   Report This Post

granama1

28th April 2024, 10:37
Oof! Got there in the end but having failed with Google to find the final name something clicked in my mind and I remembered another puzzle with a common theme (by Fer-de-Lance for Magpie). A delve in my puzzles archive provided the name. 👍

(Which I'd never heard of before that and didn't recognise in the grid. The longest name was my main inspiration + another that is quite recognisable...depending on your interests 🙂).
40 of 95  -   Report This Post