CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

geeker

6th January 2024, 00:45
Thanks to Qaos for an interesting Prize challenge.

On the gentle side, but there's a very nice theme (not the obvious one) that I only noticed after scanning the grid. One that Brendan and Buddy (if he does Prizes) should enjoy!

FOI 3, LOI 30 (confident in the solution but not happy with parsing).

COD 21. Also liked some shorter clues with good surfaces: 7, 9 and 26a.
1 of 87  -   Report This Post

smudgekent

6th January 2024, 00:49
Geeker, have you read many thrillers?
2 of 87  -   Report This Post

geeker

6th January 2024, 00:56
Smudgekent, I've read many thrillers...probably too many over the years, but over the past 20 years my reading has shifted to nonfiction.

Thanks for the hint! On review that should have been COD, but I lacked the GK to decipher the parsing. Well done, Qaos.
3 of 87  -   Report This Post

brendan

6th January 2024, 01:03
I took a while for me to get any sort of traction in this week's Prize by Qaos, in fact, my first one in (FOI) was 17a! But then I immediately saw 18a and things started to flow rather nicely from there.

If you do get stuck there is at least one long anagram in the acrosses and at least one in the downs (I know some of you are probably thinking "come on, Bren - aren't there always"? But trust me, you'll be glad I mentioned at least one of them!)

I suppose there a theme, or partial one, but nothing that should hinder your progress.

Quite a bit of general knowledge required with Ms. Olsen, a footballer, a novelist's hero, some Norse mythology and an F1 commentator - but nothing Google can't help you with.

The only clue I haven't fully parse is 36d, where I just can't see from where the second letter is derived - no doubt some helpful Form member will put me right.

COD - A toss-up between 21d and 24d but, if I was pushed, I'd have to give it to the exquisite 21d - I was going to include 16d, just to show I understood it - but nobody likes a clever-clogs!

Thanks to Qaos for a wonderful way to kick off the New Year.

Speaking of the new year, if you're a forum user who likes to read the posts but has always been a bit hesitant about joining in, why not make a resolution that this is the time to take the leap and join in the fun. I know I always say it and probably sound like a broken record, but we really are a friendly bunch and would love nothing more than to see new solvers join our merry gang.

Stay safe:-)
4 of 87  -   Report This Post

geeker

6th January 2024, 01:06
Brendan, there's a major theme you will dig! Hint: one of the early (in numerical order) down clues. And your preferred clue.
5 of 87  -   Report This Post

brendan

6th January 2024, 01:09
Hi Geeker,

What a total dunce I am 😥 Here's me thinking the theme was a tribute to a certain new monarch while completely missing the actual one.... the shame!!

6 of 87  -   Report This Post

geeker

6th January 2024, 01:10
Brendan, that's what I meant by "not the obvious one".

Qaos is known for themes, see https://www.theguardian.com/crosswords/crossword-blog/2012/nov/29/crossword-blog-setter-qaos
7 of 87  -   Report This Post

brendan

6th January 2024, 01:11
Sorry Geeker, our posts crossed, I think it will take me some time to get over this🥵
8 of 87  -   Report This Post

brendan

6th January 2024, 01:17
Small comfort but just figured out the parsing for 36d - hurray for me 😥
9 of 87  -   Report This Post

brendan

6th January 2024, 01:21
26d - Jeez! I can't even get that right!

I need something to help me chill out. I'm going to connect the headphones to my Telecaster and play some music... hmm, let me see - what am I in the mood for 😂
10 of 87  -   Report This Post