CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

jono

5th December 2023, 08:16
Dobby, if this is your last one in, then you should be able to predict the first letter at which point only one words fits.

I wasn’t sure about “skins”, should it not be “skin”, or am I missing something?
21 of 38  -   Report This Post

prospero

5th December 2023, 08:29
dobby - it's a word I've never heard used in that context and I don't have my Chambers here, but this site has it. Only words 1,2 and 6 have the theme applied.
Strangely, I have a lot of vague connections to this piece of work - my grandfather came from the island in 11 ... and there are no 11 solutions to be found there. And Iona (24) is on the ferry's way there. I spent nearly four years working in 20 and believe me it is even more Arctic. I was in Footlights with 26 and have suffered from 5. I am friends with several 27s of the city in 7 ... being currently hooked on binge-watching Suits, I took Merkel to be Markle and spent a long time trying to get a country out of MOGHAN ... and so from hour to hour we rot and rot and thereby hangs a tale ...
22 of 38  -   Report This Post

buzzybee

5th December 2023, 20:05
Prospero

Looks like we may have overlapped at our alma mater judging from your reference to 26.
I am not sure what you meant by "only words 1, 2 and 6 have the theme applied". As I see it, in all instances where the modification is required it applies to the whole clue, and it surely does to 12.
23 of 38  -   Report This Post

brendan

5th December 2023, 20:21
Surely the number of themed clues is that written in the "further information?
24 of 38  -   Report This Post

jono

5th December 2023, 20:36
Brendan, correct.
BuzzyBee is referring to 12 across, not 12 clues, if that is what you interpreted.
I wasn’t sure what Prospero was referring to either in terms of “words 1, 2 and 6”.
Where necessary, thematic reinterpretation applies to the full reading of the clue.

However, I’m still not convinced by the definition in 12a…
25 of 38  -   Report This Post

buzzybee

5th December 2023, 20:45
Thanks Jono

Try googling the solution to 12a together with "Morocco". This defn does not appear in Chambers.
26 of 38  -   Report This Post

jono

5th December 2023, 20:51
Ah, many thanks BuzzyBee, for clearing that up.
27 of 38  -   Report This Post

jono

5th December 2023, 20:55
…and now I see that definition in Collins.
28 of 38  -   Report This Post

arv

5th December 2023, 22:17
I have everything but 11 and 27, and with all the crossers (and the instruction) done I must be missing something. Hints?
29 of 38  -   Report This Post

buzzybee

5th December 2023, 23:39
Hi arv

11. The word "perhaps" is used to indicate that the previous word is an example of the definition

27. Standard abbreviation of the first word inserted into a synonym for the third, defn last word
30 of 38  -   Report This Post