CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

drxx

25th November 2023, 13:50
With all of the thematic material crammed into this I suppose the double 'unches' are to be expected, but I can't quite make everything fit 'uniformly'. I'm either missing something (I'm no expert on the theme) or not everything in there is thematic.
My 'anomalies' offer thematic possibilities (in reverse or vertically) and given a little leeway for letter placement I could fill the space - but 'uniformly entered' rules out that approach.

The clues are tricky in places and I like the general idea, but...
1 of 37  -   Report This Post

biggus56

25th November 2023, 14:55
I've got a full grid, and something to colour. I have successfully squashed words in, but have a few 'stragglers'. I am taking 'uniformly entered' to refer solely to the mode of squashing. I shall stare at it for a while longer.
2 of 37  -   Report This Post

jogamel

25th November 2023, 15:02
Just come to this and finding clues very difficult. Please help with 1a: English amateur foolishly disregards pawn (6) (one Wrong letter in definition.)
3 of 37  -   Report This Post

biggus56

25th November 2023, 15:14
The word order is a bit unusual in 1a (or you could say that there's a word missing). 'Foolishly' is an anagram indicator, and the misprint is in the last word.
4 of 37  -   Report This Post

jogamel

25th November 2023, 15:21
Still can’t see it, Biggus. 1d might help: something like crumpet from upwardly mobile neighbour (4). I have ?U?? But confess I’m floundering
5 of 37  -   Report This Post

biggus56

25th November 2023, 15:27
jogamel: not wanting to give too much away, but try inserting 'which' into 1a, and use a standard abbreviation. As for 1d, the first three words are the definition (so include a misprint). To me, the word 'like' is a little bit of a stretch, but I can see where Methuselah is coming from.
6 of 37  -   Report This Post

biggus56

25th November 2023, 15:29
After further cogitation, and a bit of liberty-taking, I am left with a massive fudge on the 7th row, and a rogue cell where 32 meets 28. Hey ho.
7 of 37  -   Report This Post

muraria

25th November 2023, 15:33
Likewise, I'm struggling to squeeze everyone in 'uniformly'?
8 of 37  -   Report This Post

jogamel

25th November 2023, 15:36
Thank you biggus. Was convinced 1a should begin E.
9 of 37  -   Report This Post

buddy

25th November 2023, 15:39
Not sure what folks are referring to in terms of struggles to get things to fit as intended. All my answers slot right in to provide the Shipshape, as it were. An overdone theme IMO, but a nice puzzle.
10 of 37  -   Report This Post
Home » Forum » IQ 1831