CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

paulhabershon

22nd November 2023, 21:09
Peer Review 620

Welcome to our friendly competition to compose a cryptic clue to be judged by your fellow contestants.

You may enter as many clues as you like. Everyone is welcome, particularly new entrants. Feel free to explain your clue, if you think it will help, or to ask another entrant to parse their clue. However, please don't comment on the merit of a particular clue before voting opens. Clues should be posted before 12 noon (UK time) on Friday the 24th of November, when voting opens. Voting closes at 6 p.m. (UK time) the same day. (Please note shorter voting time, as I won't be able to post the results and set up WPR after 7 p.m.

Entrants should vote for their favourite clue, indicating that entrant's name and clue number. The entry with the most votes wins and its composer sets next week's competition. The setter has the deciding vote in the event of a tie. The setter will declare the winner and award an online prize.

This week's challenge is:

CLIFF (5)

Have fun and good luck!

Future setters should note that a complete list of words used previously in Clueless, Peer Review and Weekend Peer Review is available here https://tinyurl.com/4dzss5np

Supplementary Challenge (continued)
The challenge is to identify a fourth word which has something in common with the three set words for this week's Clueless, PR and WPR. Thus far we have TOAST and CLIFF. This is what I can reveal so far:
1)All the words have five letters.
2)I could have chosen a number of different words instead of TOAST (if only!) and CLIFF.
3)The number of possibilities for the next two words is much more restricted.
4)All four words could have been revealed in any order, but I will be leaving the one with the fewest possibilities till last.
5)The final word has only two five-letter solutions permitted in Collins Scrabble Words 2021. One of several ways of checking this is to google 'Is ***** a Scrabble word?'. Words which can be spelt only with an initial capital letter would not be permitted.

Solvers may offer an answer at any point. If there are no correct solutions after a day of Weekend Peer Review, I will add to the hints.
1 of 35  -   Report This Post

chrise

22nd November 2023, 21:20
Could be Richard is a bit steep! (5)

(I could have gone with Clarice, but that would have been a bit obscure!)
2 of 35  -   Report This Post

tyke51

22nd November 2023, 23:05
He might control the lemming population (5)
3 of 35  -   Report This Post

jono

22nd November 2023, 23:14
Face 100 Light Infantry? They did it! (5)
4 of 35  -   Report This Post

tyke51

22nd November 2023, 23:46
It's where seabirds have the edge (5)
5 of 35  -   Report This Post

paul

22nd November 2023, 23:47
Life may be short in the Central African Republic - watch where you walk here! (5)
6 of 35  -   Report This Post

paul

22nd November 2023, 23:53
I led with 150 French Francs for a bluff (5)
7 of 35  -   Report This Post

paul

22nd November 2023, 23:56
Compare having an unfullfilled life to being a singer(5)

LIF in CF
8 of 35  -   Report This Post

paul

23rd November 2023, 00:04
Down clue

Face up to waif filching pennies – caught! (5)
9 of 35  -   Report This Post

jono

23rd November 2023, 10:40
[A recent Clueless word appears in the Guardian today; the clue is not a patch on any of yours…

Charming thing replacing British leader in PM once with leader in multimillionaire (4)

…it was Buddy who used this construction if I recall correctly]
10 of 35  -   Report This Post