CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

gitto

24th November 2023, 12:05
Brilliant Dodgepot - everything you said is correct. My error was in F1 down. I now have a full grid - working out the logical process for solving this was a nightmare - and as stated earlier, if you get that right the trial and error approach becomes minimal. I spent at least 2 days CLUE staring (a change from grid staring for once) convinced that there was insufficient data available. I should have known better - but now I might just get a decent nights sleep for the first time this week. I may regret saying this, but I will be glad to get back to a non-numerical tomorrow.
41 of 48  -   Report This Post

dodgepot

24th November 2023, 12:10
I’m glad you finally sorted it, I thought this was an excellent puzzle. Not easy to pick out the logical path, but when you find it there’s very little guesswork involved, as you say, and no programming needed.
42 of 48  -   Report This Post

gitto

24th November 2023, 14:22
Thanks Dodgepot. Before I sorted out W,Y,Z I had made a note of the possibilities for F3, and with my rising euphoria that I may actually finish this beast I had entered one off those values overlooking the requirement to add the product of W,Y & Z. Once I spotted that howler the grid resolved itself almost immediately. My brain is slowly returning to its normal temperature.
43 of 48  -   Report This Post

kindred2

25th November 2023, 18:33
Well, this crossword almost broke me! But having nearly got there on a few occasions, when I finally got there (having started afresh, yet again), it did all come together via the very narrow path that others have alluded to. I was definitely holding my breath putting the final entries in and hoping that they worked!!

44 of 48  -   Report This Post

longhare

26th November 2023, 16:44
I have 4 entries and a choice of two for one other. I ma struggling with the logic to find X. Any help would be welcomed
45 of 48  -   Report This Post

dodgepot

26th November 2023, 17:38
Longhare, there are 48 cells in total,

Note by Admin - post amended as answer given in post
46 of 48  -   Report This Post

norah (admin)

26th November 2023, 21:45
Duplicate post by Byronk

Once all the ground work has been done where there are multiple options for all but a few starter clues, it's hard to give up. Having given up twice, I went back again and after narrowing down the options to three possible solutions, the third one proved to be the correct one. I find the argument about a thin line of logic throughout not to be the case, except in retrospect. One of the four variables cannot be narrowed down by logic until towards the end when it drops out through sheer trial and error. Overall I found this one tough because there is absolutely no redundancy in the clues, so it does require a lot of slog. Solving the last clue however was a joy!
47 of 48  -   Report This Post

johnjarrow

27th November 2023, 15:40
Anybody know where I can get the blank templates. I do the numeric Listener only and after stopping buying the Times earlier this year I cannot find them anywhere.

Any help would be appreciated.
48 of 48  -   Report This Post