CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

puzzledbob

14th October 2023, 18:14
13 Across - Reduced railway perhaps arriving at regular intervals (4–6).
I am pretty sure that the answer is HALF HOURLY but I can’t work out the parsing.

I assume “half” comes from “reduced”, and the definition looks to be “arriving at regular intervals” but I just can’t see how the rest works.
Any explanation gratefully received.
1 of 7  -   Report This Post

candledave

14th October 2023, 18:16
Half of hourly is RLY which is the reduced railway
2 of 7  -   Report This Post

quisling

14th October 2023, 18:17
I think the idea is that RLY is an abbreviation of railway, and it’s half-houRLY
3 of 7  -   Report This Post

puzzledbob

14th October 2023, 20:25
Thanks both. Is it me or is it a weird construction? Not sure it quite works logically - a bit like it begs the question.

I see that RLY is an abbreviation of railway, and that RLY is half of hourly... but it feels like there is step missing.

There is nothing showing how you go from RLY to the answer, so you can only work it out once you've guessed at the answer from the definition. I may be overthinking it, but it feels like one of those ones that makes sense once you know the answer, but you'd be hard pressed to work it out without guesswork (or crossers).

Maybe it's that i am expecting a double definition, which it isn't (that would require the answer to be RLY).

4 of 7  -   Report This Post

bassett

15th October 2023, 00:48
12a Cast can start to tire (4). I think the answer is Tint, but can Tint mean Cast?
5 of 7  -   Report This Post

geeker

15th October 2023, 02:53
Yes, my NSOED includes under cast (n) ..."A dash of some colour; a tinge, a shade."
6 of 7  -   Report This Post

bassett

16th October 2023, 07:24
Thanks geeker
7 of 7  -   Report This Post