CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

malone

6th October 2023, 15:57
The clues...
Requests for help should normally include the clue itself, the number of letters in the answer, and details of any you already have. Any additional information or special instructions should also be included.
Hints only, please, no answers.

The theme...
Help towards the theme may be sought here. The 'help' should be a nudge, a pointer in the right direction - not anything too revealing that would spoil the puzzle for others. Any posts which, even inadvertently, give away too much information are likely to be removed.

Early solvers should avoid any allusions, jocular or otherwise, to the theme.

The Listener is a unique puzzle and should be treated with respect.
1 of 76  -   Report This Post

cockie

6th October 2023, 20:16
A marvellous composition! The only slight quibble is the second rectangle in (3) which renders (4) superfluous. I didn't discover the second extra across letter, but it wasn't needed. Thanks, Filbert. What a cultural change from Mr McEnroe.
2 of 76  -   Report This Post

drxx

6th October 2023, 21:04
Yes, I had the same thought about the two rectangles (and isn't the removal of the stray bars just a bit pernickety?} but I liked it very much - we don't get many high end themes.
3 of 76  -   Report This Post

jack aubrey

6th October 2023, 21:23
Jings, crivvens and help ma boab! I’ve nae yet printit thon Listener and there’s them already sat on their pails….
4 of 76  -   Report This Post

buddy

6th October 2023, 22:02
I don't think 4 is superfluous; if you look at some images in Google, highlighting those entries appropriately produces a more faithful rendition.
5 of 76  -   Report This Post

will37

6th October 2023, 22:42
I found this one of a most satisfying puzzle / solution. It was a grand way to spend an evening without it encroaching further on the weekend, other than making a fair copy when the paper arrives and sending it off.
6 of 76  -   Report This Post

h1982

7th October 2023, 11:08
Have the full grid and aspect of the work and the five specifications. I don’t know where to perform (1) yet but I can work out what it will show. (2) can be done later. (3) - this is where I’m really struggling. Have googled quotes and still can’t spot one in the grid. Struggling to understand how two rectangles can be in a single loop… any help towards instruction (3) would be appreciated:)
7 of 76  -   Report This Post

h1982

7th October 2023, 11:26
Ignore - have found it. Merci
8 of 76  -   Report This Post

andyp

7th October 2023, 11:30
I need to be struck with similar inspiration h1982!
9 of 76  -   Report This Post

andyp

7th October 2023, 11:37
inspiration has hit!
10 of 76  -   Report This Post