CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

roof

24th June 2023, 17:48
Hi everyone

Are we talking chess as the theme? In that case, I am lost.

Started late as usual and shocked myself by getting 9ac straightaway. Unfortunately it wasn't the omen I hoped it would be. I've done a few more, but keep falling asleep in the heat. (Didn't get to bed until late last night due to an incident in our road just after midnight and the police helicopter flying overhead for ages after. Someone ran through our front garden, but one of my neighbours had their porch damaged by the escaping person, who had demolished a bollard. Such excitement for Exeter.)

I will go away again and look at the hints to see if the penny drops. I cannot see the hidden in the acrosses. I've just got 29ac from references above to US usage.

Please can I have a hint for 5d for which I have ?R?S????
and 24ac, for which I have no crossers at all.
41 of 57  -   Report This Post

brendan

24th June 2023, 17:54
Hi Roof,

It's seems to be all go where you are - I myself have had an eventful weekend where I came home yesterday to see 3 uniformed officers outside my flat - my next door neighbour's home had been broken into!!

5d - 3 letter "drink" in anagram/'provoked' of "bed" then "a" + "tense" - definition is "player's stroke"

Your S is wrong

PS theme is nothing to do with chess
42 of 57  -   Report This Post

freddycat

24th June 2023, 17:55
Much to my own surprise I completed this in a couple of hours, though didn't get the theme until after.
Roof - your "s" is wrong. Think of march to war (as in Bush, Blair, Iraq etc)
43 of 57  -   Report This Post

brendan

24th June 2023, 17:57
Just to clarify, one of the US references I mentioned earlier refers to a person, although the themed version of the same answer is not US related'

There is definitely a hidden in the acrosses:-)
44 of 57  -   Report This Post

geeker

24th June 2023, 17:59
Brendan,
I wasn't even aware of the remake! The '68 original was a near-classic, and a remake would be sacrilegious IMO...

Similar ratings on IMDB doesn't surprise me...a 1968 film probably looks hopelessly dated to 20- or 30-something moviegoers. [I acknowledge being an old f**t.]
45 of 57  -   Report This Post

freddycat

24th June 2023, 17:59
Remember it well, also the hit song Windmills of your Mind" (at school we had a parody version, "the garbage that you find in the dustbins of your mind, etc)
46 of 57  -   Report This Post

brendan

24th June 2023, 18:02
Hi Freddycat,

Yes, a great song - I remember going up to Denmark St in the West End to buy the sheet music - aahh, simple times:-).
47 of 57  -   Report This Post

geeker

24th June 2023, 18:02
Brendan@44.
Of course! And I was so proud of writing in the solution. The "peanut farmer".
48 of 57  -   Report This Post

jono

24th June 2023, 18:03
I recall that hidden was a theme in its own right just a couple of weeks ago :-)
49 of 57  -   Report This Post

brendan

24th June 2023, 18:06
That's him Geeker, I think he was in the news recently but I can't recall why?
50 of 57  -   Report This Post