CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

worworcrossol

20th May 2023, 17:10
Hi Everyone
I am trying to get into the Guardian crossword more, and I respect there will be some that might be easy or hard, can anyone recommend any good crosswords or setters I could cut my teeth on?

TIA To all replies
P/S I always try the Quiptic and Dalies
1 of 5  -   Report This Post

brendan

20th May 2023, 17:17
Hi,

If you already haven't, I would recommend beginning with the Everyman crossword on the Guardian website - I suppose these could be described as Prize lite:-)
2 of 5  -   Report This Post

jono

20th May 2023, 17:54
Hi,
If you want to get into Guardian crosswords specifically I suggest try all the midweek cryptics and the Quiptic, don’t get too bogged down, use any tools at your disposal, anagram generators, OneLook etc, it’s not cheating. Then read the blog on fifteensquared for the detailed parsing of any clues you struggled with. Skim the comments and if you’re still stuck post a question which will be answered.
Also, agreeing very much with Brendan, try the Everyman and ask any questions here. Our Sunday thread is very friendly!

Like anything else, it just takes a bit of practice and very soon you will improve. Enjoy!
3 of 5  -   Report This Post

geeker

20th May 2023, 18:03
Definitely avail yourself of the fifteensquared.net blog!

Beside the Guardian, the Independent and FT have free daily online puzzles. [The FT Weekend Magazine puzzle is half cryptic, half straightforward; the FT Polymath seems to be a US-type puzzle relying mostly on GK.] The FT seems overall a bit easier than the Indy, whose setters can be quite challenging. Granted, many setters compose for multiple publications.

I cut some of my crossword teeth (and developed a taste for smutty clues) on the Private Eye puzzles, which generally aren't as difficult as those in the daily papers. Every other Friday, downloadable via "Across Lite" program.
4 of 5  -   Report This Post

worworcrossol

21st May 2023, 01:51
Thank you for the replies, I believe there is a cricket term that states if a batsman is off his form, I believe is the same applies to crosswords.
5 of 5  -   Report This Post