CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

buzzybee

3rd April 2023, 03:22
Just about done, but completely bamboozled by 8D. Any guidance?
1 of 32  -   Report This Post

mattrom

3rd April 2023, 03:40
BB, 8d. is an American TV series set in S.A. I don't remember seeing it in Au. It's an anagram.
2 of 32  -   Report This Post

buzzybee

3rd April 2023, 03:40
Found it now, but had never heard of it.
3 of 32  -   Report This Post

brendan

3rd April 2023, 06:41
2d - Pull up on weight, essentially compressing base of abdominal muscles (6)

The wordplay for the first 4 letters is clear but I can only get the final two if the "essentially" refers to "on weight" rather than just "weight" -but the first 4 letters are "on" the final 2 so is it doing double duty or, as is more likely, have I taken a wrong turn somewhere?
4 of 32  -   Report This Post

jono

3rd April 2023, 08:42
I see what you mean Brendan, perhaps loose interpretation of ‘essentially’ is required?
I remember that show as being on here in the UK in the 70s, but I see it was made in the 60s.
5 of 32  -   Report This Post

muraria

3rd April 2023, 10:41
The show was my FOI, I loved the main visually challenged protagonist!
Thanks for the memories, Harpo
6 of 32  -   Report This Post

jack aubrey

3rd April 2023, 11:52
A lot easier than it looked at first. And another dictator following one in yesterday’s EV; must be the season for them!
7 of 32  -   Report This Post

sircrispin

3rd April 2023, 12:01
One left: 'Son delayed in another lot of exams becomes rancid'.

The 'another lot of exams' seems obvious given my crossers, but that leads to a word I cannot reconcile...
8 of 32  -   Report This Post

malone

3rd April 2023, 12:08
Sircrispin, I think your 'another lot of exams' is probably correct, and the 'son delayed' is a standard crossword device for moving letters. The definition is the last two words, I was originally thinking it was only the last one.
9 of 32  -   Report This Post

sircrispin

3rd April 2023, 12:12
Thanks Malone. I shall take to Google once more to try to find confirmation... My (very old) Chambers drew a blank...
10 of 32  -   Report This Post