CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

zinc

5th March 2023, 10:28
There's one clue this week that I just cannot piece together and I hope someone can put me out of my misery.

15d "Militant part of drama to be played out much earlier?"

The solution appears to be "Activist", i.e. "Militant" but I just can't parse it fully. I can see Act, Act I, Act IV, a "v" for "versus" (to be played?) or for "very" (much?) and a "1st" (earlier?).

Any suggestions?
1 of 15  -   Report This Post

jono

5th March 2023, 10:31
I think you basically have it. Read it as “Act four first”
2 of 15  -   Report This Post

zinc

5th March 2023, 10:37
Thanks Jono. A case of not being to able to see the wood for the trees!
3 of 15  -   Report This Post

trebornotlaw

5th March 2023, 12:10
I don't understand 1ac; revamped Saudi Pvc and international rubber business.
It looks like Davis Cup but apart from the anagram I don't get it
4 of 15  -   Report This Post

chrise

5th March 2023, 12:12
Are the Davis Cup matches referred to as "rubbers"? Some matches are.
5 of 15  -   Report This Post

quisling

5th March 2023, 12:24
That’s exactly the reference. Not specific to the David Cup, I wouldn’t say. Though once a team leads 3-0 or 3-1 (it’s best of five), any remaining matches are often known as “dead rubbers”, because their result will not influence the overall outcome
6 of 15  -   Report This Post

paulhabershon

5th March 2023, 14:59
I think 'rubber' refers primarily to a series of games or matches , rather than a single match. It will always be an odd number of matches as a rubber is best of 'x'.

The equivalent in test match cricket is a series, traditionally five matches but they often play fewer nowadays, not always an odd number. One version of bridge is rubber bridge in which you need to win two 'games' to win a rubber (best of three). Several rubbers may be played at one session.

In the Davis Cup if one team is leading 3-0 I would not call the fourth match a dead rubber. At that stage the whole contest is a dead rubber.
7 of 15  -   Report This Post

quisling

5th March 2023, 15:09

quisling

5th March 2023, 15:42
To save you reading it, the Davis Cup’s own press release says “all five rubbers”. It clearly considers a single match a rubber. A match does, of course, consist of a series of games. So I’m happy to describe a single match as a dead rubber, rather than the tie as a whole.
9 of 15  -   Report This Post

paulhabershon

5th March 2023, 16:40
You are quite right, quisling@9. Davis Cup tennis does call a single match a rubber. I suppose each match can be described as a rubber partly because tennis is best of three or five sets.
10 of 15  -   Report This Post