CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

trebornotlaw

26th February 2023, 22:58
By Fed

22 across; Recalled Rod Liddle's content to leave somebody (7).
Recalled rod is baton backwards to give notab.
Liddle's content to leave gives le.
So the answer is notable, ie somebody.

HOWEVER, "recalled Rod Liddle's content" made me read Rod Liddle backwards, and I noticed the word "dildo" is there (very aptly).
If the setter has done this deliberately then I take my hat off to him/her.
1 of 6  -   Report This Post

jono

26th February 2023, 23:14
The setter (Dave Gorman) commented on Twitter that he hadn’t seen that reverse hidden, but that he would “file it away for future use!” :-)
2 of 6  -   Report This Post

geeker

26th February 2023, 23:16
Thanks for pointing that out! I solved the puzzle but didn't notice it. Chapeau to Fed, intentional or not.
3 of 6  -   Report This Post

trebornotlaw

27th February 2023, 00:26
Wow, I didn't know that comedian Dave Gorman is also a crossword setter. I've just been reading his Twitter feed. Very interesting!
4 of 6  -   Report This Post

mathprofrockstar

27th February 2023, 03:16
I did not know who Rod Liddle is until now. I wish I still didn’t know. Stating that the word dildo is apt in his case is patently unfair to dildos. On the other hand, I am pleased to have learned about Mr. Gorman.
5 of 6  -   Report This Post

jono

27th February 2023, 13:57
I see that this puzzle by Fed also gets a nod in Alan Connor’s weekly crossword roundup - always worth a read (Alan Connor is “Everyman”).

https://www.theguardian.com/crosswords/crossword-blog/2023/feb/27/crossword-roundup-in-which-we-reclaim-the-word-mob
6 of 6  -   Report This Post