CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

brendan

1st January 2023, 01:09
The clues contained all the usual suspects and covered a wide range, but it was particularly nice to see 26a get a mention.

7d - I never knew the second word was spelled like that - what a 17a I am (yes, I know that's not the correct usage 😀)

COD - I think I'll pop for 4d.

Thanks to Everyman for a most enjoyable way to kick off the New Year.

Stay safe:-)
1 of 32  -   Report This Post

mathprofrockstar

1st January 2023, 01:17
Nice gentle end of the year (or beginning of the year over there) puzzle. My fastest solve ever for Everyman. Gives me plenty of time to go out and get into trouble on NYE. I like your choice, brendan, for COD. I also liked 20, even though it was my LOI. Just not familiar with that definition of antipodean. Happy New Year to all.
2 of 32  -   Report This Post

mathprofrockstar

1st January 2023, 01:19
Oh, meant to point out, that while I didn't see a rhyming pair, I guess 11 and 20 could be considered a pair.
3 of 32  -   Report This Post

jono

1st January 2023, 01:23
Perhaps the longest primarily clue ever! I also couldn’t spell 7d. Fun start to the year. Happy new year all!
4 of 32  -   Report This Post

brendan

1st January 2023, 01:25
Hi MPRS,

Are you sure you have 20a correct? I only say that because, with the exception of the first word, it sounds nothing like 11a.
5 of 32  -   Report This Post

brendan

1st January 2023, 01:28
Sorry MPRS, I see now you weren't saying they rhymed just that they were similar in other ways - my mistake:-)
6 of 32  -   Report This Post

alohaned

1st January 2023, 01:44
Rhyme 15 and 26 ?
7 of 32  -   Report This Post

geeker

1st January 2023, 01:52
I didn't see a rhyming pair, either. But in searching for one I noticed a cute coincidence: the last five letters of 8 and 13 (plausible locations of a rhyming pair) are an anagram pair.

Thanks to Everyman, fun puzzle. But easier than the norm. Maybe the Guardian editor is taking it easy on us this holiday weekend.
8 of 32  -   Report This Post

smot

1st January 2023, 08:47
Happy New Year!
Yes, a nice gentle start to the day - all done in under an hour while the rest of the family recover in bed :-)
9 of 32  -   Report This Post

warden

1st January 2023, 09:36
Happy new year

I agree a nice and easy start , after seeing the new year in

I liked 8d, but I'm always fond of a pun

I hope you all have a great 2023
10 of 32  -   Report This Post