CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

geeker

18th December 2022, 00:41
Thanks to Everyman for a fun and extremely high quality puzzle this week. Wouldn't have been out of place in the Prize slot IMO.

Somewhat more difficult than the norm, but not intractable. Many fine clues, some creative and non-standard.

FOI 5, LOI 15.

COD 22, edging out 24, 5 and 7. The second tier of COD candidates 6, 2, 8, 21 and 25; third tier 4 and 19. Clearly I enjoyed the puzzle.

Regarding standard features: an outstanding "Everyman" clue, longish "first letters", but I don't see either a rhyming pair or significant alliteration. Granted I sometimes overlook r. p. s...
1 of 25  -   Report This Post

alohaned

18th December 2022, 02:10
2 really made me chuckle.
7 and 18 look like they ought to rhyme, but don't.
Theme certainly edible/drinkable
2 of 25  -   Report This Post

alohaned

18th December 2022, 02:17
minor quibble - 16 doesn't need, and shouldn't have, the final letter
3 of 25  -   Report This Post

geeker

18th December 2022, 02:24
That's what I thought about 16, and I find the final letter unaesthetic at best. But I looked around and found some examples with the final letter, so decided to let it slide.
4 of 25  -   Report This Post

rainman

18th December 2022, 03:53
I didn't think that Everyman went in for themes, but what seems remarkable, to me at least, is that every single clue was thematic, without exception. I can't recall seeing that before, although I'm sure it's not unique. It certainly helped me in solving a number of clues, such as 7a and 4d, towards the end.
5 of 25  -   Report This Post

geeker

18th December 2022, 03:56
Wow, good spot, Rainman!
I assumed no theme, since I can't recall Everyman going for them, and failed to consider the possibility.
Maybe that accounts for the lack of rhyming pair or alliterations.

I think the "every answer thematic" thing has been done before, and not that long ago, but am too lazy to google...
6 of 25  -   Report This Post

jono

18th December 2022, 07:39
We have seen a Christmas Everyman themed special before. See 3,871 from two years ago almost to the day (same theme as today’s though not in every clue that time). For some reason I still remember “drop of Drambuie” in the clue for rice pudding ;-)
7 of 25  -   Report This Post

yevrah

18th December 2022, 07:56
Good day to all. Great fun today. Some tricky clues but it all came together. Concur with the comments.
Enjoyed the theme. Favourite is undoubtedly 2d. Stay warm.
8 of 25  -   Report This Post

smot

18th December 2022, 08:50
All done :-) and good fun too.
FOI 2d (made me laugh too), LOI 4d (which met with a groan...)
Thanks Everyman - a nice Sunday morning challenge.
9 of 25  -   Report This Post

phil10000

18th December 2022, 09:04
Wish I'd spotted the theme earlier as I really struggled with loads of these - 1d, 2d, 4d, 9a, 15a, 19d, among others. Far more lateral thinking needed than is typically the case, and even when the answers were in lots of head-scratching before parsing PDMs. It didn't help that I plumped for the wrong philosopher (which almost parsed, but not quite!) or that I've never heard of that sort of sidecar (but will certainly investigate further later today!)
10 of 25  -   Report This Post