CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

bigjack

10th December 2022, 13:46
Thanks, chrise.
I was so busy trying to shoehorn in Y for young, I couldn’t see it.
31 of 61  -   Report This Post

mikey456

10th December 2022, 15:20
12a) Maybe a classical music person? Can't see the definition, though.
2d,3d) I suppose this is a themed answer. But can't recognise any familiar names.
32 of 61  -   Report This Post

chrise

10th December 2022, 15:36
12 different sort of scorer. What first letter to remove from the "one recovering" isn't very obvious.
2,3 is thematic. The second word is pronounced differently in the wordplay than the solution.
33 of 61  -   Report This Post

mikey456

10th December 2022, 15:48
Thanks, chrise. But I'm still stuck on the whole NW corner.
Only other types of scorer at Shearer and Lineker et al.
No idea on what 2,3 could be.
10a) Only thing I can think of is a phrase for "aware of". On the ball, so to speak.
34 of 61  -   Report This Post

chrise

10th December 2022, 15:51
Not sports either!
10 is easier than you think
2,3 you obviously don't have children of the right age :)
When she was the right age, we couldn't stop our daughter eating them.
35 of 61  -   Report This Post

mikey456

10th December 2022, 16:07
Thanks chrise.
Got the relevant trade name after searching for lists of the nation's favourites.
The rest fell in to place.
Yes, 10 was obvious!
36 of 61  -   Report This Post

roof

10th December 2022, 19:34
Hi everyone

I've had a really busy day and didn't expect to even start the crossword today, but saw it was Paul, so thought I'd give it a try. Started at 5.00pm, but have solved very few and can't see the theme. Needless to say I haven't got 2 and 3d. I did get 10ac straight away and I think I have 9d, but can't explain the second latter of the second word, so maybe I have it wrong.

I'm really zonked, but perhaps a heavy hint for 13ac will get me going. I thought I had the answer for 26ac, but changed my mind as it didn't fit my possible answer for 18d. I think I have the answer for 29ac but cannot parse the first two letters. I'll have another go and a few hints may get me going. Or I may just fall asleep.
37 of 61  -   Report This Post

chrise

10th December 2022, 19:39
Hi roof
I suspect you have the wrong first two letters for 29 - there are several possibilities, but with the correct ones it reads fairly obviously.
13 The "Whistler" is on apitch, with an indicated letter before, and "paintings" after. My favourite clue.
38 of 61  -   Report This Post

roof

10th December 2022, 20:50
Hi Chrise
The penny finally dropped on 2,3d and on 16ac. Unfortunately, I'm not very switched on about these 16s, but I've got a few of the cousins now; 18d has confirmed my answer for 26ac, though I remain unable to parse it completely. I understand your hints for 13ac, but am unable to think of the right answer yet.

I can think of three possible first two letters for 29ac, but cannot see the right one. I need to get 20d. I've now got all of the western side apart from 22d and the old Olympian in 11ac.

Perhaps a hint for 19ac will help me do the west side. I've not got many crossers yet.

39 of 61  -   Report This Post

chrise

10th December 2022, 20:57
Hi again, roof
20d is the cleverest clue in the puzzle. It looks like it's thematic, but it isn't! A could give a more blatant clue, but it would be a bit of a spoiler.
19 the "borough" is in New York. She once pushed in between us gong the other way on Oxford Street.
40 of 61  -   Report This Post