CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

jogamel

3rd December 2022, 15:10
Hurrah. For once, although extracting the solution has been painful I feel well off. Thank you Phi.
1 of 21  -   Report This Post

malone

3rd December 2022, 15:12
Lovely, Jogamel - as was the puzzle!
2 of 21  -   Report This Post

bandj

3rd December 2022, 15:42
We would really appreciate some help with 7d. We have the theme and all the other entries but we cannot see the 3 letter word which needs replacing with another 3 letter word. Thanks
3 of 21  -   Report This Post

malone

3rd December 2022, 15:49
The answer to the clue has a four-letter word, adjective meaning 'limping', plus a letter coming from the 'start of race'. That word is an 'enthusiastic American competitor', though I'd probably have thought it was a UK word too.
4 of 21  -   Report This Post

malone

3rd December 2022, 15:53
Bandj, I forgot to say that your crossing letters might show you most of the replacement already...
5 of 21  -   Report This Post

bandj

3rd December 2022, 16:02
We are puzzled. From your reply it sounds as if the answer is not one of the themed entries.
6 of 21  -   Report This Post

bandj

3rd December 2022, 16:10
Got it whilst walking to our village Christmas light switch on. Thanks!
7 of 21  -   Report This Post

bandj

3rd December 2022, 16:33
The three letter word we needed is not in Chambers as a synonym. We only knew it as as a collective noun which is why we thought we were perhaps looking for a 4 letter substitution. As you say - could as easily been an English word for the original answer.
8 of 21  -   Report This Post

malone

3rd December 2022, 16:46
Thanks, Bandj, glad you got it all finished off. The three letter word is definitely in my Chambers , with an entry of its own.
9 of 21  -   Report This Post

eraserman

3rd December 2022, 17:07
Bandj, you're not thinking of a word like metallic fabric for limping, as I was stuck doing, are you? There is another curiously similar word meaning limping that applies here.
10 of 21  -   Report This Post