CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

jono

30th November 2022, 18:39
Thanks to all those who entered this week’s challenge. I enjoyed them all. The Shakespearean interpretation of mechanical was in my mind when I set the word so it was nice to see Buddy’s two clues (though I’m amazed there were no Bottoms on display ;-)

Enjoyed the anagrams from Chris@2, Paul@6 and Geeker@3 (the card sharp meaning of mechanic was new to me).

Liked Fiery@4’s “chemical reaction”. I wondered if the “Na” part could have come from Sodium to extend the chemistry reference? Also liked Tyke’s cryptic definition @8, Paul@11 and @20 and Mattrom@19.

SimpleSimon once again delivered on the subby front @7 and 14. I liked the Artemis reference, though I never understood why NASA chose Apollo, who is associated with the sun, as the name for the first moon missions, when his twin sister Artemis, moon goddess, was clearly the better choice.

To sum up, my top three were…
Third place SimpleSimon@7
Second Buddy@17
And winner goes to Aristo@15 for a solid technical clue and an unexpected adjectival definition.

Raving about sound effect nothing out of routine (8)

Congratulations Aristo, here are the prizes…

The Mechanicals…
https://youtu.be/UIWBr72splQ

The Mechanism…
https://youtu.be/9_QsCLYs2mY

The Mechanics…
https://youtu.be/H7m1PO7wvYM
21 of 28  -   Report This Post

buddy

30th November 2022, 19:01
congrats to aristo and to jono for hosting and the silver. I was going to go with "Can Michael play with Will's bottom?" but "can michael" had already been used and bottom needs to be capitalized which would spoil the surface. Also I despise clues that reference Shakespeare as "Will".
22 of 28  -   Report This Post

tyke51

30th November 2022, 19:01
Nice clue Aristo - pleased you`re feeling better! Thanks for the mention Jono and great qualifying effort Mattrom ⚽ - well done!
23 of 28  -   Report This Post

simplesimon

30th November 2022, 19:15

Thanks for the mention Jono and for hosting.

Well done Aristo - look forward to a real teaser from you. Glad you’re better - poor Sue’s had a horrible cough for 3 weeks and only just getting over it 😨
24 of 28  -   Report This Post

mattrom

30th November 2022, 20:05
Well done, Aristo, and I hope you've made a full recovery.
Thanks, Jono for the challenge and the mention.
Tyke, I actually woke up in time to see the last 15 minutes. I'm pleased for them.
25 of 28  -   Report This Post

paul

30th November 2022, 20:54
Well done Aristo - back to form and then some!
Cheers Jon and thanks for the likes (although I was happier with 20).
SS; Hope Sue makes a full recovery ASAP.
26 of 28  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

30th November 2022, 22:38
Oh my. Thank you, jono. Always an honor.
The first video isn’t available in the US. Aren’t watches astoundingly complicated? Fascinating.
Thanks for the well-wishes, folks. I’ve recovered. Looking forward to hosting. Best.
27 of 28  -   Report This Post

fieryjack

1st December 2022, 12:24
Congratulations Aristo, nice one
Cheers Jono for hosting and the mention, much appreciated
28 of 28  -   Report This Post