CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

brendan

27th November 2022, 03:02
What a fun Everyman this was, quite tricky in places but with enough of the usual anagrams, initial letters, and hiddens to help navigate us through the sticky patches.

I don't know if these count as rhyming pairs but there are some answers with common endings, other than that I didn't notice any theme.

1a and 9a both took an age to parse and, in fact, in 9a I couldn't even initially see a definition! But a scroll through the dictionary sorted everything out:-)

COD - I had initially picked 19d with its "neglected corporation" but was then tickled by the toothless Yankee in 18d and, once I'd finally figured out the wordplay, also thought 1a was worthy of an honourable mention.

Thanks to Everyman for fun and challenging puzzle.

Leave us a comment letting us know how you got on and, if you do get stuck, just post you query on here - there will always be someone on hand to help.

Stay safe:-)
1 of 36  -   Report This Post

geeker

27th November 2022, 03:08
This was one of the quicker Everyman solves in recent memory.

Solid crossword, thanks to Everyman. One quibble: a few short clues perhaps slightly pedestrian.

Possible quadruple of rhymers? (or eye rhymes, I'm never sure).
FOI 10, LOI 14.
COD 1a, also liked 10, 18 and 9.

Interesting Meet the Solver this week. Contrary to my occasional speculations, Everyman has always been a single setter. Identity now revealed?

https://www.theguardian.com/crosswords/crossword-blog/2022/nov/26/meet-the-setter-the-observers-everyman
2 of 36  -   Report This Post

brendan

27th November 2022, 03:21
Wow, that's brilliant - thanks Geeker, a thoroughly enjoyable read ...oh, and add me to the list of people who thought Everyman was more than one person, at least in the last few years.

The three clues Enigmatist refers to in this week's The i newspaper are:-

Lecture that might be a little flat (7)

State whose borders are all land - or entirely water, we're told (4,3)

Where to buy goose and gander (8)
3 of 36  -   Report This Post

brendan

27th November 2022, 03:40
Interestingly, when I click on the 200th puzzle it opens this one, but I can't see the "quiet celebration" referred to, no shock there though - it would need flashing lights and a siren just to give me fighting chance😂
4 of 36  -   Report This Post

geeker

27th November 2022, 03:50
Solutions 10 and 11 might constitute a bit of a celebration.
I can't see any Ninas, though there's an apparently irrelevant/random ROASTED backward in the 4th row.
5 of 36  -   Report This Post

rainman

27th November 2022, 03:55
I presume he is celebrating by breaking open a 10a. I thought I should comment since I am honoured to be associated primarily with his 200th crossword.
6 of 36  -   Report This Post

brendan

27th November 2022, 03:59
Indeed Rainman, you got your own clue - I'm envious 😀
7 of 36  -   Report This Post

rainman

27th November 2022, 04:02
Incidentally, I wonder if the two letters in the row immediately above 10a are entirely coincidental. I guess it's too short to count as a Nina.
8 of 36  -   Report This Post

geeker

27th November 2022, 04:02
Interestingly, both his 100th and 200th puzzle had the 4 long perimeter clues ending with the same 5-letter word (8 in all). But I can't see the significance of that (olfactory) 5-letter word.
9 of 36  -   Report This Post

geeker

27th November 2022, 04:05
No doubt a spurious "Nina", but there's "I LOL" going both up and down in the 8th column. 🤣
10 of 36  -   Report This Post