CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

rocky7

19th November 2022, 19:13
Hi Roof. Since my first post this morning I think I am averaging one answer every two hours. I'm just not getting this at all. Despite all the hints on here 20d still eludes me as does the entire SW corner bar 24.

I even got the sport reference in 17d but still can't get the answer.

I think I may have to withdraw gracefully and try again in the morning when the subconscious has had a chance to work.
61 of 76  -   Report This Post

paradigmshifter

19th November 2022, 19:15
Rocky7, 17D parses as a 4 letter "support" plus a 4 letter "family"
62 of 76  -   Report This Post

rocky7

19th November 2022, 19:18
Hi Roof. Since my first post this morning I think I am averaging one answer every two hours. I'm just not getting this at all. Despite all the hints on here 20d still eludes me as does the entire SW corner bar 24.

I even got the sport reference in 17d but still can't get the answer.

I think I may have to withdraw gracefully and try again in the morning when the subconscious has had a chance to work.
63 of 76  -   Report This Post

paradigmshifter

19th November 2022, 19:18
If you need a hint for SW corner, 21A is probably easiest, 3 letter "first lady" + 1 letter "republican" + 5 letter "young" (in the sense of inexperienced).
64 of 76  -   Report This Post

rocky7

19th November 2022, 19:20
Apologies this site is as non-functioning as my brain today. I don't know why it posted twice
65 of 76  -   Report This Post

mystogre

19th November 2022, 19:37
If you want a hint for 22d - the first four letters of the first word is what the creature “wears”.
66 of 76  -   Report This Post

roof

19th November 2022, 20:19
Back again and nearly finished including 22d. The key was to regard "Downed" as an adjective. It still took a moment for the penny to drop.

My last one is 27ac. I'm assuming the definition is "Stunning". I have ?L?O?I?G.

I can't see the men. Light might be dawning, but I don't think it means Stunning.

The men have just been revealed to me and the affair, which gives me Stunning!

My FOI was 9ac closely followed by 4d, My LOI was 27ac and and my COD was 4d and 23ac.
There were a number of clues I had trouble parsing. I have finally worked out the anagram for 14,24 and solved it once the "Webber" became clear..

Thank you for all your hints. I agree that the clueing for some answers was most peculiar.
67 of 76  -   Report This Post

paradigmshifter

19th November 2022, 20:23
Your crossers for 27A are correct.

Men is pretty standard 2 letter abbreviation (military), which comes after 1 letter "love" inside a 5 letter "affair". Definition is "stunning".
68 of 76  -   Report This Post

brendan

19th November 2022, 20:49
Hi Roof,

27a - 1 letter "love" + 2 letter "men" both inside 5 letter "affair" - definition is "stunning" and your letters are all correct.
69 of 76  -   Report This Post

brendan

19th November 2022, 20:52
Oh dear, not only had you already solved it but, even if you hadn't, PS had already parsed it!

I need a lie down:-)
70 of 76  -   Report This Post