CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

paradigmshifter

8th October 2022, 16:01
Pretty straightforward again this week.

Can't parse 9A

11A clue of the day clearly :)

Unusual to see the same device used in 3 of the clues, those 3 helped me get started though.
41 of 54  -   Report This Post

paradigmshifter

8th October 2022, 16:03
Ok, now I can parse 9A.
42 of 54  -   Report This Post

roof

8th October 2022, 17:50
Started after lunch as usual and made steady progress. FOI was 15ac, which I didn't know before either.

I was stuck on last two, one of which I got as I read through the thread. But I cannot see 3d. I'm not sure of the parsing for 1ac, but I think the first letter of 3d must be right. I have E?V?S (sorry if that is more than a clue). I can only find two words that fit and can't see why either is the right answer, so I think I might like a hint to help me decide. Of course, it could be a famous person, but if so, where does the document come in? So, that will be my LOI. And what about the parsing for 1ac?

Lots of excellent clueing, many of which made laugh out loud. I particularly liked 11ac. 16,10, and 13,7 when I realised I needed to change the p to an l in 6ac.

More Paul puzzles like this one please.

43 of 54  -   Report This Post

paradigmshifter

8th October 2022, 17:55
If you are Spanish, it might be 2 words for "the travel document" missing the last letter.

1A the number is the second word and the first word means "this is a homphone of".
44 of 54  -   Report This Post

paradigmshifter

8th October 2022, 17:57
But the word for the travel document is actually feminine not masculine, maybe there is a masculine version though.
45 of 54  -   Report This Post

chrise

8th October 2022, 18:01
The second part isn't gender specific in English, so I think it's OK - just treat the "Spanish" part separately.
46 of 54  -   Report This Post

paradigmshifter

8th October 2022, 18:05
That would make sense if the word "the" was actually in the clue though.

But it made me laugh anyway so I am letting Paul off. One of his better puzzles this week I thought, if a little easier than normal for a Paul.
47 of 54  -   Report This Post

minno

8th October 2022, 18:10
Just to be pedantic, there is a six letter word in Spanish which is correct for 3d. Reminds me of Stephen Fry's perhaps greatest joke. Which Tyler, leader of the pedants revolt.
48 of 54  -   Report This Post

paradigmshifter

8th October 2022, 19:24
What would the missing (3? presumably it starts with the again?) letters for 3D then?

I was amused by and surprised I managed to do the lateral thinking required for the anagram part of 14, 8, 22A
49 of 54  -   Report This Post

aicram

8th October 2022, 22:01
I normally have great difficult with Paul's crosswords but found this easy and straightforward. Didn't need any help at all which is unusual.
I rarely contribute to this blog, but always follow it and have found it of great help in the past.
50 of 54  -   Report This Post