CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

brendan

24th September 2022, 01:06
This week's puzzle by my more illustrious namesake is a heavily themed affair - and made me realise what an absolute philistine I am!

FOI was 22a followed by the crossing 22d (which I recommend as a good way in)

In terms of difficulty I'd say this sits at the high end of the scale.

If you do get stuck there is at least one long anagram and at least one hidden in the acrosses.

There are still two clues I can't fully parse, namely 11a (although I know who she is) and 7d where I can't see the "tense change" part. Also, I'm not sure of the answer to 27a - I have a name that fits with the crossers but can't see how it relates to "Exeter and Leeds".

COD - Lots of good clues but my favourite is 14a:-)

Did you find this as difficult as me or is this theme right up your street?

Thanks to Brendan for a challenging but entertaining puzzle.

Please feel free to leave a comment and, as always, if you do get stuck - don't hesitate to ask for a hint, there are always people on here willing to help. I remember how reluctant I was the first time I asked for some help but I needn't have worried as everyone was super-helpful.

Stay safe:-)
1 of 70  -   Report This Post

geeker

24th September 2022, 01:18
Hi Brendan,

I had a lot of trouble starting out, but gradually made progress and gained steam. I rate it a touch above median difficulty (not extreme), but several clues were really tough. I enjoyed the challenge, thanks to setter Brendan.

I got the impression there were 3 themes, 2 rather specific and 1 more general. The 2 specific themes are not my bag either, but it helped that all 3 themes are regular guests in cryptic crosswords. 😉

FOI 1d, LOI 20.
Too lazy to pick a COD, call it a tie between 8, 29, 15, 13d and 10.
Also liked 22a, 19d, 5, 2, 4 and 24d, so many smiles with this Prize.
2 of 70  -   Report This Post

geeker

24th September 2022, 01:23
Brendan, I can't figure out 11 yet, though the answer is clear.
7d is really clever, a 2-letter "indicator of tense (gram.)" inside an anagram.
I didn't research 27, but parsed it as 1, 3 where the 3 is a (map) course.
3 of 70  -   Report This Post

brendan

24th September 2022, 01:23
Hi Geeker,

Definitely not my bag either although, as you say, these themes are certainly no stranger to the world of cryptic crosswords:-)
4 of 70  -   Report This Post

brendan

24th September 2022, 01:26
Ahh, thanks Geeker - I get 7d now and I think I know what you mean about the map/compass reference in 27d.
5 of 70  -   Report This Post

brendan

24th September 2022, 01:31
... and I've just seen how 11a works - I think!
6 of 70  -   Report This Post

brendan

24th September 2022, 01:43
Geeker, this is worth a read if you haven't seen it:-

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-63010107
7 of 70  -   Report This Post

geeker

24th September 2022, 02:12
Brendan, thanks. I've been avidly following the relevant tournaments (Sinquefield Cup and current Julius Baer -finals this weekend-) online, and have overdosed on discussions of this scandal. Moreover, I was following Niemann closely in recent months leading, as he's an American player with a big online presence whose rating has been skyrocketing (Nakamura et al. refer to "meteoric rise").

Apparently HN has a history of somewhat unseemly cheating on the chess.com server*. Chess.com recently acquired Carlsen's business venture (the Play Magnus Group), so MC is well-informed. My speculation is that MC is not accusing HN of over-the-board cheating, but is objecting to a known cheater being invited to prestigious tournaments.

Carlsen has promised to say more following the Julius Baer event, and FIDE has started to get involved, so I expect we'll soon get some clarification.

*Chess.com has sophisticated anti-cheating algorithms, and has busted many players. Google "pipi in your Pampers" (Tigran Petrosian -not that one, a namesake-) for example. 😂
8 of 70  -   Report This Post

geeker

24th September 2022, 02:26
I finally figured out 11 with the help of Messrs. Google.
Relates to a well-known work by the author associated with 23.
Yes, I'm also a Philistine...read the book as a boy but the details were long since forgotten. 🤷
9 of 70  -   Report This Post

geeker

24th September 2022, 03:31
Brendan, on the Niemann subject, I know you follow Agadmator: here's a Niemann beatdown of Levon Aronian in the (online rapid) Julius Baer event:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQuhjvFXNYk

Aronian didn't play so well, but Hans certainly made the most of his opportunity.
10 of 70  -   Report This Post