CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

brendan

14th August 2022, 17:27
32a - Sorry Notnil, maybe it is English - I was pretty sure it wasn't but Chambers just says "soldier" so ...
11 of 22  -   Report This Post

notnil

14th August 2022, 22:08
Brendan, Malone,
Thanks for your prompt replies. I'm just back from a theatre outing and will pick this up tomorrow but I'm confident your nudge will prove fruitful.
12 of 22  -   Report This Post

jack aubrey

14th August 2022, 22:25
Well that stretched my scant knowledge of the thematic material beyond its elastic limits. Thank you, Google! But it was fun and the import of the title dropped like a ton of bricks once I had found the - err, thingummy.

I should have been more up to speed. I worked for his cinematic Dad after retiring and will be at said Dad’s memorial service next week.
13 of 22  -   Report This Post

notnil

15th August 2022, 07:25
As hoped, a quick finish this morning after Brendan and Malone's help yesterday. Some delay as I hadn't anticipated the refraction. But despite Jack Aubrey's comment, I haven't seen the significance of the title. Will ponder over breakfast.
Thank you, Karl.
14 of 22  -   Report This Post

notnil

15th August 2022, 07:26
Which obviously should have said Thank you Karla!
15 of 22  -   Report This Post

teenieleek

15th August 2022, 11:43
Jack Aubrey - could this be a visit to St Andrews? Or have I completely misunderstood?
16 of 22  -   Report This Post

cruciluci

16th August 2022, 14:35
I'm struggling with the endgame, have the "risen word", think I can see the "titular object", but can't figure out where the lines are supposed to go.

Do they "refract", as it were?
17 of 22  -   Report This Post

buddy

16th August 2022, 15:35
I don't submit the puzzle, so take this for what it's worth, but I drew 4 lines - 2 from the endpoints of the risen object converging onto the graphic, and then 2 from the graphic diverging to the endpoints of the "titular object". I have to believe that's close enough to show you've got the gist of the puzzle.
18 of 22  -   Report This Post

buddy

16th August 2022, 15:37
although the word "pinpoint" might suggest a single line going to the titular object.....
19 of 22  -   Report This Post

cruciluci

16th August 2022, 17:31
I'm sure you're right, but I'm still frustrated because:

a) I don't know where to originate the lines, the corner of a square, the centre?

and b) the instruction says "continue these lines" which I would normally read as continue at the same angle
20 of 22  -   Report This Post
Home » Forum » IQ 1764