CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

aspria

10th July 2022, 21:07
No one on this? Not surprising, it's pretty chewy. I have everything, including the thematic stuff, but not, frustratingly elements of the SE corner. 33d evades, as does 37ac and not sure about 33d. ditto 2nd letter of 28d. Nudges appreciated.
1 of 15  -   Report This Post

aspria

10th July 2022, 21:20
Sorry, got them all now except for second letter of 28 and how it works and first of 33 (anagram of reduced word?)
2 of 15  -   Report This Post

malone

10th July 2022, 21:21
Aspria, I found it relatively straightforward..

As there's so much thematic stuff involved, I won't reiterate the guideline stuff about giving the clues.

37 A. The definition is the last word, in its meaning of 'place'.
33 D One of the six referred to in the preamble.

28 Is clever, I orinally moved the letter to the wrong spot, the wrong word. If you know the 'envoy' the middle part of 28 D should be clearer.
3 of 15  -   Report This Post

malone

10th July 2022, 21:26
Thanks for the update, aspria. If you take the thematic part out of 33 D, you'll see what meanders, what 'one abandons' means etc.

28 D, put your added letter into the fourth word of the clue (and the last word is normal crossword terminology).
4 of 15  -   Report This Post

aspria

10th July 2022, 21:45
Got it now, thanks. I found that quite challenging I must say. But good.
Thanks HS.
5 of 15  -   Report This Post

malone

10th July 2022, 21:55
Thanks, aspria. Yes, the puzzle all came together very nicely.
6 of 15  -   Report This Post

jack aubrey

13th July 2022, 13:55
A thoroughly enjoyable challenge, a thought-provoking theme and an elegant and very well-constructed puzzle. Thank you, Hedge-Sparrow
7 of 15  -   Report This Post

malone

13th July 2022, 14:23
One solver's 'a thought-provoking theme' was another's 'Oh not, not more of this stuff, surely?' I enjoyed the puzzle immensely - but in spite of, not because of, its theme!
8 of 15  -   Report This Post

alwayspuzzled

14th July 2022, 06:33
'Thanks' to really bad hay fever I started this very late indeed. I have all but two answers (29 down - Bearing ascendant king astern, cross Nile and 30 down - More than one wan dame needing start of summer. Both 4 letters). Also a hint as to how to apply the instruction would be appreciated.
9 of 15  -   Report This Post

malone

14th July 2022, 07:45
AlwaysPuzzled, as you've got most of 29 and 30 D already, maybe these hints will help finish them off.

29 The 'cross' is the much-loved by setters, a very short word. The last letter in the clue doesn't belong

30 The first letter in 32 A moving up means you're ooking for 'More than one ????'.

To apply the instruction, change the 11-letter-word into its crossword form, and then literally '?????' it in the entries that include it.
10 of 15  -   Report This Post
Home » Forum » EV 1547