CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

lumen

11th July 2022, 13:27
Despite the early posts at 1 and 2 !, 1a and 7a are both still escaping me.
I have most others and can see the theme.
21 of 31  -   Report This Post

brendan

11th July 2022, 13:41
Hi Lumen,

1a - definition is "unjustifiably count on" (as in 'take for granted') - 4 letter "Strathclyde trial" around/tasting 3 letter "aggregate"

7a - definition is "style of writing" (ancient Celtic) - "old" + 3 letter "Glaswegian's tooth".
22 of 31  -   Report This Post

lumen

11th July 2022, 13:58
Hi Brendan, I have both those now.
7 was tough, 1 maybe I should have got, couldn't see definition.
I have two symmetrical cells still empty. First of 6d and last of 29d, any hints welcome.
23 of 31  -   Report This Post

drxx

11th July 2022, 16:56
They both have single word defs - 'utterly' for the first one (wordplay is ''**** cat bounce'') and 'occupied' for the second, which is a double def clue - the first 7 words (including the swapped word) giving the first def and 'occupy' for the second (look at the 4 letter word present tense entry in chambers).
24 of 31  -   Report This Post

drxx

11th July 2022, 16:58
...sorry, 'occupied' is the correct tense for the 2nd def.
25 of 31  -   Report This Post

lumen

11th July 2022, 21:37
Thanks drxx. I get 29 now.
I know what 6 must be but don't see the wordplay despite your valiant attempt.
Is the six letter shape in the grid the same word revealed by the middle letters, bridging the across and down clues? That may be a question too far.
I was assuming it was, but cannot find it. Maybe it's a synonym not literally the same word.
26 of 31  -   Report This Post

drxx

11th July 2022, 22:03
I think you might know the (journalistic?) phrase ''a **** cat bounce'', lumen - it suggests an upturn in fortunes but it's not going to get up and walk away from it... because it's ****.

Yes, that's the word you're looking for and if you know what the thematic entry is you'll find it winding around the first letter of that rather long entry (starting in the top left and heading south then east). It's the centre cell that the letters are in touch with, so there's a gap between the 1st and 2nd letters.
27 of 31  -   Report This Post

tomsdad

12th July 2022, 16:48
Pass me the dunce's hat! I have a completed grid but am now stuck.

I can see evidence "c....r" at the start of the "c......c" period.

If I swap letters in 23d and 29d I can get a previous period. Am I on the right track?

I am then stuck. Assuming I have all the correct entries I cannot see any 12 or 10 letter sequences connected with the event that I am assuming.

Can anyone give me any further hints please?
28 of 31  -   Report This Post

muraria

12th July 2022, 17:34
Tomsdad,
The 12-letter sequence starts in 1st column and proceeds step-wise (right, down, right and so on) and takes in your change of periods. The 10 letter sequence runs along the SW NE diagonal.
29 of 31  -   Report This Post

muraria

12th July 2022, 17:36
Sorry, down, right, down.....
30 of 31  -   Report This Post