CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

crowdedmorning

28th June 2022, 12:47
I own the Chambers app for iPhone, and use it extensively for crossword solving. I'm wondering to what extent it differs from the Chambers Crossword Dictionary (as opposed to the standard Chambers Dictionary).

Is there anything that is unique to the Chambers Crossword Dictionary hard copy that would justify purchasing it in book form if I already own the Chambers app, beyond the physical form itself?
1 of 3  -   Report This Post

malone

28th June 2022, 12:59
ChrisRemo, I have the CDD, book, and have used it about three times in the last five years! It's a bit like Bradford's Crossword Dictionary - if you look up 'Monkey', say, you get a list of them - three-letter, four-letter etc. I much prefer the proper, real, dictionary itself.
2 of 3  -   Report This Post

mathprofrockstar

28th June 2022, 18:18
I have both and find they complement each other well. As Malone said, if you look up a particular word in the crossword dictionary, you get synonyms and examples. Useful for piecing together the wordplay if you're stuck on a clue. I find the app dictionary more useful for when I think I have the wordplay figured out, and want to check that what I think should be the entry actually fits the definition.
3 of 3  -   Report This Post