CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

brendan

19th June 2022, 05:35
Thanks to Ifor for an excellent puzzle. I particularly like the literal portrayal of the highlighted phrase.
1 of 20  -   Report This Post

muraria

19th June 2022, 06:14
Agreed, brendan, IQ has had a run of excellent puzzles of late. Thanks to Ifor, Dysart et al.
2 of 20  -   Report This Post

granama1

19th June 2022, 08:08
Took me a while to spot the highlighted bit. Even though I'd guessed where it was likely to be and what shape it was going to be 😄 Also to see how the column description worked. I'm not too good at end games!
3 of 20  -   Report This Post

gjango

20th June 2022, 09:28
Any chance of a nudge? I have a full grid, the theme word and presume that we are looking at the centre column, but I'm not finding the closed loop, nor do I have any idea who the poet is.
4 of 20  -   Report This Post

granama1

20th June 2022, 11:28
Not the centre column. Look for one that might read cryptically and consider the letters in it.

The theme word is important in finding the closed loop.
5 of 20  -   Report This Post

ionacarr

20th June 2022, 16:58
It's a very graceful end-game and I enjoyed completing it. But I can't see which column is supposed to point us to the poet (P---), or why his lack of respect for reputations is mentioned. I'm also flummoxed by the puzzle's title.

So perhaps I haven't completed it after all.
6 of 20  -   Report This Post

malone

20th June 2022, 17:04
IonaCarr, the poet is just an additional little flourish - he's definitely in a column. 'Loosely described' is a clue as much as a description, especially the first word.
7 of 20  -   Report This Post

drxx

20th June 2022, 17:42
The title equates to the common synonym.

I really enjoyed this and I think the endgame works very well - it must been tough constructing the grid.
8 of 20  -   Report This Post

ionacarr

20th June 2022, 18:36
Thank you Malone. It was only after finding the disguised poet that I realised how clever it was to have found a phrase that summed up his attitude to the rich and powerful. How setters manage to stumble repeatedly upon this sort of serendipity has always amazed me.
9 of 20  -   Report This Post

malone

20th June 2022, 18:57
IonaCarr, glad you got it all put together. Yes, it was all very clever - even the flourishes!
10 of 20  -   Report This Post
Home » Forum » IQ 1756