CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

chrise

15th June 2022, 15:09
thanks jazzy - that's what i thought
31 of 47  -   Report This Post

chrise

15th June 2022, 20:01
OK, time’s up (I hope no-one minds me moving it an hour earlier!) Having written this some time ago, I kept wondering whether a late entry might require a major rewrite, but no!

So many good ones to choose from. We had an excellent start with paul @2 picking up on the “cross”. I decided against jono @3/4 as the “rosser” variant would make it a bit obscure to solve, I think. I liked SimpleSimon’s “radio announced” @6. Mattrom came up with another use of “cross” @7. Geeker gave us cultural references @8, 9, and 10! A straightforward cryptic definition from paul @11 (I may have missed something), and a delicious Spooner @12 (not usually my favourite type of clue). Another cultural reference from FJ @15. Reference to BoJo from tyke @16? Some more education from buddy @17. Panto again from tyke @18. Penda has the hybrid cross again, but I didn’t see the definition in this one. Compound anagrams from patrich @20 and mattrom @21. Lovely misleading definition from aristo @22. Valiant attempt to work another cultural icon into the clue from patrich @23! Characteristic subtractive anagram from FJ @25. Another cultural reference from BBM2 @26, and the confused person reappears @27.

I’ve three favourites. I’ve juggled the order a few times, but finally decided on:

Bronze medal aristo @22
Silver medal paul @12
Gold medal mattrom @7

Your prize is probably nothing like what you were expecting! I changed the challenge from “drag queen” to “cross dresser” as I thought it would give more scope for clueing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsB_A-JFDtE

(I tried to find a live performance, but all the live ones had the song some way into a long clip.)

And, suggested by geeker @9

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mHhr-aaLnI

I also considered a link to “The Time Warp”, in honour of patrich’s effort @23, but I discovered, on rewatching it, that Frank N. Furter doesn’t feature.
32 of 47  -   Report This Post

tyke51

15th June 2022, 20:12
Well done Mattrom - cheers Chrise - enjoyed the clips!
33 of 47  -   Report This Post

chrise

15th June 2022, 20:13
Were you thinking of Boris @16, tyke?
34 of 47  -   Report This Post

tyke51

15th June 2022, 20:25
Yes Chris - probably farce more than panto - I wanted to use `Principal Boy` but Mattrom beat me to it!
35 of 47  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

15th June 2022, 20:41
Nice as always, mattrom. Thanks for the bronze, chrise.
Jack Lemmon is hilarious.
36 of 47  -   Report This Post

buddy

15th June 2022, 20:49
well done mattrom, though the "principal boy" reference went over my head until I looked it up. "Pantomime" is not big over here. thanks for hosting chris.
37 of 47  -   Report This Post

jono

15th June 2022, 21:12
Congrats Mattrom and many thanks Chris for the challenge, enjoyed the clips!
38 of 47  -   Report This Post

paul

15th June 2022, 21:35
Lovely clue Mattrom!
Thanks for the silver Chris!
I skid don’t normally like Spooner-feeding but felt the fodder could benefit! Thanks for such a thorough assessment - not missing marking student’s work too much I hope….
39 of 47  -   Report This Post

chrise

15th June 2022, 21:39
not at all, paul!
40 of 47  -   Report This Post