CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

jogamel

11th June 2022, 16:46
I have got a bit leg-locked in the NE corner. Help please with 8d might put me back on track. Stand with a soldier guarding remains (5) I have A.I.E
1 of 24  -   Report This Post

quisling

11th June 2022, 16:55
Jogamel, stand (the definition) is a verb, the soldier is an engineer, and remains is a simple two-letter verb inside
2 of 24  -   Report This Post

jogamel

11th June 2022, 17:04
So simple when you explain! One more bit of help please. 15d. What criminal might have left large twisted sleeve? (5) I have G.ON.
3 of 24  -   Report This Post

malone

11th June 2022, 17:11
Hi, Jogamel. Your O is wrong in that one. The answer is an ordinary word, but I didn't know it could mean sleeve, cuff. I'm working on a hint for the parsing...

PS Could you use ??? for blanks, it makes things clearer? Thanks.
4 of 24  -   Report This Post

quisling

11th June 2022, 17:14
The toughest clue of the lot, for me. As Malone says, your O is wrong.

As for the clue, imagine what might be picked up at a crime scene by forensics “what criminal might have left”. It’s a three-letter abbrev. Add a two-letter abbrev. of “large” and reverse it all “twisted”. Whole answer is a bodily part, but also means a sleeve
5 of 24  -   Report This Post

malone

11th June 2022, 17:19
Thanks, Quisling, there were too many strands (!) in that clue for me to provide a readable, sensible hint.
6 of 24  -   Report This Post

quisling

11th June 2022, 17:39
Very good, Malone! 😆
7 of 24  -   Report This Post

malone

11th June 2022, 17:45
Thanks, Quisling. I was relieved and happy when your useful post appeared. My attempt was very mangled, I was glad to ditch it.
8 of 24  -   Report This Post

cranberryboat

11th June 2022, 18:07
Thanks quisling, struggled with parsing that. I do still have one loose end - in one of the two hidden words to be changed, I'm pretty sure what it should be but that involves an instance of the same repeated original letter mapping to different 'thematic' letters, which seems a little unsatisfactory - especially in the context of such a fabulous puzzle! Hope that makes sense - but maybe I've misinterpreted somewhere...?
9 of 24  -   Report This Post

muraria

11th June 2022, 18:25
cb,
Hmm....I agree it's a bit unsatifactory but I'm sure the setter will have tried to incorporate a single encoding through the puzzle, to no avail I presume.
10 of 24  -   Report This Post