CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

brendan

6th June 2022, 14:18
I'm confused by the instruction at the end of preamble .."One unclued entry must then be modified in accordance with the end of the line".

Does that mean we just erase the name on that side and colour the empty cells the appropriate colour? It just seems odd to have the squares initially blank, then filled with a name only to be made blank again, so I think it must mean something else but can't see what:-(
1 of 12  -   Report This Post

drxx

6th June 2022, 14:26
It could be just that, brendan - but a similar result is achieved by deleting just one letter on the other side.
There are two options for modifying the answer on the right side and one of these suggests a 'modification' and can be preceded by a word for the suitable colour (I've opted for this approach)... but who knows, it's one of those again.
2 of 12  -   Report This Post

brendan

6th June 2022, 14:28
Thanks Drxx.

PS Did you notice 37a - is that just a coincidence?
3 of 12  -   Report This Post

alwayspuzzled

6th June 2022, 14:30
That's what i did as well Drxx
4 of 12  -   Report This Post

drxx

6th June 2022, 14:30
Thanks for pointing it out, brendan - don't know how I missed it!
5 of 12  -   Report This Post

drxx

6th June 2022, 14:32
That's reassuring, alwayspuzzled - let's hope we're right.
6 of 12  -   Report This Post

brendan

6th June 2022, 14:33
....I wish I had, I spent half an hour trying to modify it! (I jest, of course)

Thanks AP.
7 of 12  -   Report This Post

son1ofrover1

8th June 2022, 10:14
Does the modification has a spectral connection ? Bearing in mind the colour I think must be used, that is the best I can come up with but cannot see how it relates to the end of the line.
8 of 12  -   Report This Post

drxx

8th June 2022, 11:03
Yes, it's the spectral option, because the colour fits the theme.

I think we're expected to complete the crossword without the correct solution on that particular side - as per the second part of the lyric - but there are a few ways of doing much the same (there's an interesting and more involved possibility to modify the other name but it has only a tenuous connection to the theme at best)..

My thinking is that erasing part or all of an entry goes beyond 'modifying' - and erasing doesn't suggest any particular colour to me.
9 of 12  -   Report This Post

drxx

8th June 2022, 11:32
By the way, there's another thematic colour I'd use if erasing the name on that side - it's crossword related and does a very thorough job of 'modifying' the grid rather than the entry (not an idea of mine, but i like it).
10 of 12  -   Report This Post
Home » Forum » EV 1542