CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

brendan

4th June 2022, 00:54
I, like many others, was expecting a bumper Bank Holiday special but, while this puzzle by Philistine is partially themed, it's not the behemoth we usually get on these weekends.

I did wonder if it was an anniversary of the 'mini theme' but, after a quick check on Google, it appears not, so it's anyone's guess why it has appeared this week - answers on a postcard:-)

In terms of difficulty I didn't find it too hard but I still can't fully parse 10d even though the answer is clear.

If you do get stuck there is at least one long anagram in the acrosses and at least one hidden in the downs.

COD - I was going to give it to the Paulinesque 4a but 1d just pipped it at the post - not least because of the D'oh! moment when I cottoned on to the wordplay.

Thanks to Philistine for a fun puzzle.

People have been experiencing problems logging on to the site in the last few days so hopefully everything will be sorted out soon.

Please feel free to leave a comment and, as always, if you do get stuck - don't hesitate to ask for a hint. I know I always say it but the people on here are very friendly and will always be willing to help.
1 of 30  -   Report This Post

brendan

4th June 2022, 01:01
10d - ..... ah! That type of canine:-)
2 of 30  -   Report This Post

geeker

4th June 2022, 01:42
Hi Brendan,

I found this on the easy side for a Prize and noticed the (mini?) theme* early on. But a fun solve, thanks to Philistine.
FOI 1a, LOI 20.
COD 14 (even though it's not that hard given the theme and occasionally found in crosswords) over 19.

*Hope this isn't a spoiler, but back in my drinking days I had a few at the infamous Greenwich Village bar [SPOILER ALERT: https://tinyurl.com/5e6zesc5]...
BTW, I have no idea why the theme appeared this week.

10d: "canine" as in dental?
3 of 30  -   Report This Post

brendan

4th June 2022, 01:56
Hi Geeker,

I don't think I've ever seen 14d before and I've Googled it with 19d but nothing leapt and so am not sure what you mean?

Thanks for the link, I enjoyed that - I looked on it's Wiki page and there are some nice B/W pictures of it:-)

10d - Yes, it dawned on me there might be more than one type of 'canine' but a bit too late for my initial blog.
4 of 30  -   Report This Post

brendan

4th June 2022, 02:00
Wow! Baldwin, Kerouac and Mr Zimmerman - what a clientele + 12,18šŸ˜œ
5 of 30  -   Report This Post

geeker

4th June 2022, 02:05
Brendan, I've previously seen 19 ( at least 2 or 3 times) as a solution in cryptic crosswords, though of course it's not common.

The genesis of 19 was exactly how it's parsed! SPOILER ALERT: https://tinyurl.com/66cu87nu
6 of 30  -   Report This Post

geeker

4th June 2022, 02:11
Oh good grief, I meant 14. Sorry.
7 of 30  -   Report This Post

brendan

4th June 2022, 02:13
Thanks Geeker, I knew you meant 14d so no probs.

The WHT looks like it's a great place - I envy you having had a beer there:-)
8 of 30  -   Report This Post

geeker

4th June 2022, 02:23
It was a fun place! When I went (mid-'80s) there was still sawdust on the floor! Apparently it's gone a bit upscale since then šŸ‘Ž...
9 of 30  -   Report This Post

johnson

4th June 2022, 02:51
Fun, not too taxing, holiday puzzle. Iā€™m a Philistine fan.
FOI 1ac
LOI 7dn
COD a tie between 4ac (new word for me) and 14dn

10 of 30  -   Report This Post